IVA Modification questions

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1

n958g

Post by n958g » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:13 pm
Hi - my C/M date has been set for 2 weeks time. During this time, is it usual for creditors to come back with variations or do they usually wait until the last day? Also, i have no assets at all (apart from £1400 equity in a car), and just the usual debts (loans c/cards) - what sort of modifications do creditors usually make? Are there any common ones? I'm just a bit worried that it won't go through.....

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:19 pm
Your IP wouldn't be putting it forward if he/she didn't think it was going to be accepted.

Different creditors request different modifications, but not always. A lot of the time the mods are to do with IP's fees, but that won't bother you.

You won't find anything out till the day. I'm sure it will be fine though.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:14 pm
Good luck for your meeting - as Jan says most of the modifications seem to be re:IP fees. Try not to worry about it, easier said than done I know.

xx

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:36 pm
Good luck. Try not to worry - as Jan says your IP wouldn't be putting your proposal forward if they weren't confident.

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:32 am
The idea of putting forward a Protocol compliant IVA was to avoid having modifications. This is one of the real benefits for such Protocol compliant proposals. It is up to your IP to satisfy himself that he/she is putting such forward. Then there should be no modifications unless there is something special in any individual case.
Last edited by David Mond on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:58 am
Our only mods were to do with the release of equity and how much it should be.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

cat 1

Post by cat 1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:38 am
OMG.Does this modification get taken to the letter.EG NO changes for 2 full years.This would mean what we are allowed to earn? Keep ?Pay out? What have I done entering into an IVA?

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:32 am
Cat, don't panic. Even though it says 2 years you'll still have reviews and complete I&E forms. In the proposal, it will state about any overtime etc..

Normally the 2 years is there so no variations can be proposed, however, I don't think this is written in stone. If the worse came to the worse and your circumstances changed withing the first 2 years, I'm sure your IP will deal with it.

I will advice, if you're struggling with payments early on, face up to them. Don't suffer and think they'll get better, because they seldom do.

I'm sure your IVA will be fine, but use this forum and ask anything that causes you doubt /stress.

xx

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:58 am
Julie is totally right and you should not panic. Provided the proposal is viable when you sign it there should be no problems. Creditors do not like variations to reduce payments that have recently been agreed unless something unforeseen happens. Therefore a proposal based on unlimited overtime in the current economic climate would be unwise.

In addition, an IVA does not restrict you from moving jobs, taking a second job etc nor does the IP dictate what you can spend your money on. If at any time you have a problem just lift the phone as the IP is there to help. He or she does not have to get creditor views every time a client has a problem.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”