Credit Card Bill

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

bouncyball

Post by bouncyball » Mon May 18, 2009 8:17 pm
Hi, I have to pay my credit card bill soon, but can only afford to give them £5.00 towards it as a token payment. the only thing is that I haven't got a cheque book. If I ask my parents to write a cheque out and I give them the cash the credit card company won't be able to take any other money from my parents account will they? I have £4700 on this credit card and they are not going to like to receive £5.00. Just get worried when it involves someone else, but have to pay something towards it.

sparklywatcher

Post by sparklywatcher » Mon May 18, 2009 8:19 pm
Hi bouncy ball you could get a postal order if it made you feel better... making token payments however doesnt really make any difference to the end result if you are going for an IVA.
Creditors meeting set for 2nd June....

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Mon May 18, 2009 8:21 pm
Hi there

The credit card company WOULD NOT be able to take money from your parents by them writing a cheque for you, but if it makes you feel better pay in cash using the payment slip in a bank or get a postal order.

Have you informed the company that you are going to make a token payment only?

Good luck
Be positive & look after yourself, there are more important things in life than debts....

Best Wishes

Emma x

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon May 18, 2009 8:22 pm
Are you going for an IVA? If so has your IP advised you to make token payments - some do and some tell you to stop making payments altogether.

If you're going to make token payments you need to make sure that you pay each creditor pro rata:

If you owe creditor A £100 and creditor B £200 you would pay A £5 and B £10.

Regarding the cheque, I can't see any way that the credit card company would be able to take the money from your parents' account.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:35 pm
They certainly won't be able to take it.

I have heard with postal orders that some banks refuse to accept them and have sent them back.

As Emma says - go into the branch (or get someone else to do it if you don't want to - I would totally understand that!) and pay cash.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

GinSkipper

Post by GinSkipper » Mon May 18, 2009 8:56 pm
Hmm...

[:p]

If some banks refuse Postal Orders and send them back then that's probably a good form of payment. At least you can confidently say you tried to give them the money but the just did not want it...

[:D]

More seriously, I personaly have chosen not to make any token payments. This was because the likely sums involved are hardly worth it and anythng I do have left is being used to try and build a contingency. It just so happens that this was the best thing I did as I recently had a huge vet's bill and needed to fix something on my car!

I firmly believe that having a contingency is more important than trying to satisfy debt management call centre staff attempts to get a bonus!

Cheers

Andy

mickyboy

Post by mickyboy » Mon May 18, 2009 9:15 pm
Understandable Bouncyball.
I choose to make token payments to my creditors during my IVA process. As everyone says, you don't have to do this. I just set my token payment to everyone £10 per month. Most of my creditors were happy with this except MBNA, but i stuck to my guns and only paid them £10. Funnily enough, MBNA are the only ones who wanted more and chased me aggresively for extra.
You can take the paying in slip to a bank and pay the bill that way. Do you have a card (Not Credit Card)you can pay by the banks automated system or pay online.
Good Luck
Mickyboy
On the road to debt free life

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm
As soon as we were told we could apply for an IVA, all payments were stopped. It makes no difference to whether or not you are accepted.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”