Upgrading a Bank Account

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:28 pm
Hi, 18 months into my IVA and have a Natwest Step Account, the girl on the phone said to me about upgrading but I got her off the subject by saying 'not much time..sorry' today we received in the post forms to sign for an upgrade, now do I sign or not? Is the upgrade in place already and just awaiting my signature, the forms are pre filled in just awaiting a signature?? I'm worried if we sign and return and they then find out we're in an IVA we'll lose our bank account. Anyone else had an option like this whilst in an IVA?
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:45 pm
An upgrade usually involves a credit check. They may well not close your account. I'm not sure i would risk it myself.

Someone esle might best advise if it is likely the upgrade would already be in place.
Steve.

IVA approved!

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:46 pm
I would not have thought an upgrade to an existing account would require further credit checking Lesley, but what benefits does the upgrade actually give you?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

kelse

Post by kelse » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:50 pm
I've wondered this too, as my bank offered me an upgrade to a current account - we have a cash card account at the moment. I declined the offer but it has made me wonder.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:24 am
I think it upgrades it to the next level, you get a cheque book and the card that is one up from the Solo card I'm guessing Maestro or similar which is more widely accepted although to be fair I've only had a couple of problems using a Solo Card. There is no overdraft given I have read all the literature back to front and can't find anywhere it mentioning a credit check but am so frightened they'll shut my bank account down etc., I'll ponder a while longer x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:55 am
In the past when i have had a full current account with only a basic card I have been asked if I would like to upgrade my card to a Maestro. I was told then it would involve further checks.
Steve.

IVA approved!

rayb

Post by rayb » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:04 am
Hi,

I am with the Natwest and I applied for an upgrade and was declined due to Bankruptcy information on my credit file even though it is an IVA. (Some firms class it the same)

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:50 pm
Our building society do - they wrote to us to inform us that they knew of our bankruptcy! I had to phone to inform them they were wrong.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:57 pm
Well I'm assuming they didn't do a credit check as today we got a letter saying upgraded account to cheque book etc., was agreed and cards and cheque book were in post! Amazed to say the least but may come in handy.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:03 pm
Good news Lesley - hopefully they will upgrade others as well.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”