Private landlords

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
22 posts Page 1 of 2

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:23 pm
Hi

Alot of questions get asked about renting whilst in an IVA and the majority of the answers are to use a private landlord if you are unable to use an agency.

Well recently i found that there is a company that will provide prospective tenant credit checks which can be done online for a fee of £8.95.
Alot of private landlords seem to be taking this approach...

Having had a look at the site it seems anyone can request a check on someone and it provides information on the 'risk factor' of taking on a particular tenant. Although I don't think it provides information as to the ins and outs of financial problems. I guess it would then be up to the landlord based on the information the check brings up.

It seems to be getting harder to rent these days regardless of the fact people are addressing there debts.
Steve.

IVA approved!

dickie

Post by dickie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:36 pm
The problem is Loneranger that many landlords are in the same position as you and many may be in an IVA themselves or heading that way. I know that because I am a letting agent. Some have become landlords by accident due to the recession so they need to make sure that their tenants can pay the rent for the next six months, imagine having to still pay the mortgage when your tenant is not paying the rent. Try looking in the local paper at private properties if you are in a position to move quickly lots of landlords would probably not bother to reference you. When viewing a property always ask the landlord what he will need from you. Best of luck.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:02 pm
I do wonder though weather this company just check the insolvancy register as they state that they will find out about any insolvancy over the past 6 years [bankruptcy/IVA] and ccjs in the past 6 years..im sure they can just drag that information up from somewhere. They dont say tey are able to provide any other information
Steve.

IVA approved!

Storm

Post by Storm » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:17 pm
The info they get access to is defined as public information - they can't access info such as payment history or who you bank with or how many credit cards you have etc.

They can pay a small fee and use http://www.registry-trust.org.uk/ - this is the organisation CRA's get CCJ info from.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:54 pm
Storm, so this company http://www.credit-check-services.co.uk/services.asp on a bronze search would get there information from the site that you gave above?

Are they unable to carry out a full credit check on you?
Steve.

IVA approved!

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:27 pm
Hi all,

I have been in rented accommodation for over 10 years & I have always gone through private landlords due to agents charging terrible fees for deposit, checks & sometimes two months rent - one held for when you move out.
Before becoming insolvent I have never had arrears in rent & always had glowing references upon leaving a property. I still have never had any arrears in rent through my IVA so far.
I think if your honest & tell the private landlord or agent your position & give proof of references & past rent payments there should be no need to go through a credit check - especially when they charge 75 quid for doing so. I know any landlord I have rented property from would give me a glowing reference, I could not imagine getting into arrears with rent - its the roof over me & my children. I hate this stigma with credit checks - just because you got into debt does not mean you are unable or unwilling to pay for the most important things - your home or roof above your head, gas, electric etc. I have always had my gas n electric on prepayment - yes its a tad more expensive but you dont get a scary bill or into debt - you pay for what you use, hence it being pay as you go. Plus the company who supplies you does not have control over what payments they want each month. Summer is heaven for gas on the pay & go system - winter can be hard but you can build up credit on your meter during he summer. x
Final IVA payment made in April 2013, never ever thought we could do it or get through it but we did! X

An IVA.co.uk Mentor is someone sharing from their experiences of dealing with debt

Lyns x

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:32 pm
PS Steve - so glad your IVA got approved! I know from reading past forum posts it was your second time around - good luck with the rest of your journey x
Try going into your profile n adding the date etc so your profile counts it down - like mine n many other does. I find it really helps to see the months Ive got through & the months ahead - always going down!
Final IVA payment made in April 2013, never ever thought we could do it or get through it but we did! X

An IVA.co.uk Mentor is someone sharing from their experiences of dealing with debt

Lyns x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:28 am
You're not too far behind me Lyns. We should have a big celebration when we finish![:D]
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Storm

Post by Storm » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:41 am
The only organisations who can get do a full credit search are those that grant credit and or report the status of their relationship with you.

Looking at the info on their site it looks to me like the CRA they are using for the Gold report is Experian - doesn't directly say this but the terminology used makes me think it is.

From their site - A summary of any financial accounts (such as bank, utility, mail order, financial services lenders) that link the tenant to the address provided. Note that this will only summarise the type of accounts found and will not detail the actual company/lender.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:08 am
Thanks for your kind words MrsKnight.

Storm, the landlord has said they will carry out a bronze check which to me seems like the public information you were talking about. I actually paid the small fee to bring up any public information held about me on the site you provided and it came back as nothing registered.

A check on the insolvancy regster shows that my IVA is not yet registered on there.

Based on this it will be interesting to see what the bronze check will bring up about me.
Steve.

IVA approved!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:56 am
You might be ok then Steve.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:59 am
Hopefully Jan, the good thing about this move is that it wont affect my IVA payments and the good old mother is coming up with the deposit. Im cinfident the bills will actually go down.
Steve.

IVA approved!

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:47 pm
A good move then Steve? Great stuff.
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:49 pm
Good luck with the move Steve x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:52 pm
Let us know how things go Steve.
Bob Marley.
22 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”