food and clothing

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
116 posts Page 8 of 8

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:29 pm
I know the question is directed at Jan, but from my point of view it would depend. If I enjoyed gardening and the alternative was something I didn't enjoy as much I would do it myself.

ivas4us

Post by ivas4us » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:33 pm
exactly Skippy, so the cost of the time taken cutting the lawn is £50 loss of earnings - £10 for somebody else to do it so it costs £40 in time to mow the lawn if you like gardening.
IVA.co.uk The best place for debt advice. Thanks to Melanie Giles, David Mond, David and J (Elv5) Kallis, Dand, Skippy, Andy Davie

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:34 pm
If I was mowing my own lawn, it would be in my own time, I wouldn't pay anyone else to do it. As it would be in my own time, I wouldn't be wanting to go out and earn any more money, that's why I have days off from work!

If I spend all that time working, I would have no time to enjoy the money I am earning. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy as the saying goes.

I wouldn't be mowing the lawn anyway as I loathe gardening and hubby does it FOC!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

ivas4us

Post by ivas4us » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:35 pm
MelanieGiles wrote:

I completely agree with you Skippy - the time cost of money is a term often used in business, but I would not apply it to everyday life.
I was reffering to business Melanie in loss of earnings.
IVA.co.uk The best place for debt advice. Thanks to Melanie Giles, David Mond, David and J (Elv5) Kallis, Dand, Skippy, Andy Davie

ivas4us

Post by ivas4us » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:38 pm
kallis3 wrote:

If I was mowing my own lawn, it would be in my own time, I wouldn't pay anyone else to do it. As it would be in my own time, I wouldn't be wanting to go out and earn any more money, that's why I have days off from work!

If I spend all that time working, I would have no time to enjoy the money I am earning. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy as the saying goes.

I wouldn't be mowing the lawn anyway as I loathe gardening and hubby does it FOC!
and therefore the cost of time is the loss of earnings because as you quite rightly choose you want some leisure time.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:40 pm
Exactly Jan, cutting the lawn is Dave's job!

No, it isn't £40 loss of earnings as I wouldn't have had those earnings in the first place and you can't lose what you haven't had. I work 8.30am - 5pm Monday to Friday have no intention of increasing that so therefore what I do in my own time can never affect my earnings.

This whole arguement is quite pointless really isn't it?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:41 pm
How can it be loss of earnings if I don't get paid for that leisure time? It is what it says - leisure.

I'm off to bed now (at whatever cost) so I am refreshed enough to go out and earn a crust tomorrow.

I still haven't figured out what you are going on about and I think I shall give up!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

ivas4us

Post by ivas4us » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:45 pm
you dont get paid for leisure time but if you were working instead you would be earning money so the cost of the leisure time is the amount you would have earned if at work. People dont usually see leisure time as a cost because its accepted that leisure time is an essential part of everyday life.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:47 pm
Sorry Paul - I was convinced you were talking about people saving time by not having to visit their cashpoints, not business?

And I do think that this discussion has run its course and now has little value to people looking for help in finding a debt solution.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

ivas4us

Post by ivas4us » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:52 pm
MelanieGiles wrote:

Sorry Paul - I was convinced you were talking about people saving time by not having to visit their cashpoints, not business?

And I do think that this discussion has run its course and now has little value to people looking for help in finding a debt solution.

I was reffering to people taking time out of thier business day, but perhaps I didn't put it over as good as I could have. It has run its cause I was just saying that time is money but its a difficult concept to grasp.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:35 am
It has run it's course and Melanie is quite right.

I shall lock it so that no other replies can go on there.
Bob Marley.
116 posts Page 8 of 8
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”