IVA & Working in Finance

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

CashClown

Post by CashClown » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:00 pm
I work in finance/accounting and have applied for a role as a financial controller for a large family run business. I am not qualified so have no worries about institutes etc but am worried whether I should declare our financial problem,s and that we are looking at going into an IVA.

Does anyone have any advice or experience on these matters please? IF I were offered the job, should I mention anything?

Many thanks.

V Wilkinson

Post by V Wilkinson » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:08 pm
Hello and welcome.

I too work in finance and have just completed my IVA.

I've only ever come across one issue when applying or starting new roles. I was asked at interview if I wished to declare any financial problems as they would credit check me - which was ridiculous and was not relevant to the finance job that I was applying for. I've always been fine and had no problems. As far as I'm aware you don't have to say anything unless you've been declared bankrput - I may be wrong on that point so I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I am.

Afterall, the fact that you are experiencing financial problems in your personal life certianly doesn't affect your ability to do your job and it's certainly no reflection in your trustworthyness.

In your position I wouldn't say anything as it's not relevant. If asked the question then you would have to be honest.

Hope this helps and good luck

xx

liamjames

Post by liamjames » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:12 pm
Good luck on the job!

You should not have to disclose anything unless asked (and certainly not yet, when you have not even decided), but it is likely that as Financial Controller your employer will want to know whether or not you are or have ever been insolvent.
Take care,

Liam James
Varden Nuttall
http://www.vardennuttall.co.uk

Read our reviews here: http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/Varden_Nuttall.asp

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:24 pm
Hi cashclown - I would agree with the others - only offer the information if you are asked. What happens in your personal life should not dictate your competency to do your job however in financial matters sometimes they choose to make the link.

If asked explain the corcumstances and what you are doing to rectify it. If they are a decent company they should value the steps you are taking - anyone going into an IVA will be a far better financial controller as a result of it than left robbing peter to pay paul!

Best of luck and keep us posted on what happens.

Regards,
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

CashClown

Post by CashClown » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:44 pm
Many thanks to all. I thought I had already posted this, but since I am new here maybe I did something wrong, anyway ...

I have been working as a freelance through a Ltd Co for a number of years, but the income is itrregular and am therefore applying for a permanent position on the basis that regular income would be more beneficial in an IVA.

I also thought that if asked, I could explain taht the fact that I need regular income for a good period of time will mean I will work hard, be reliable and am not likely to leave any time soon. Do you think this may sound like an advantage to the comapny?
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”