XMAS PRE/POST IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
24 posts Page 1 of 2

indebtscared

Post by indebtscared » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:10 pm
Just wanted to comment on Xmas for us as a family. PRE IVA, booze cupboard full(courtesy of Tesco credit card)Presents bought for everyone,latest must haves for little one (courtesy Capital One), what a happy credit Xmas we had.
Then BANG, the sound of post Xmas card statements arriving, car service & MOT due in January (courtesy of Asda Credit Card)
OH MY G*D, so began 2010 possibly the worst Jan-April we had ever had. No money,3.000 overdrawn, credit cards upto and beyond limits.Marriage breaking down.
Then BUMP we hit rock bottom.
BUT since we had the courage to talk to CAB & Payplan we are 7 months post IVA, marriage back on track, Xmas presents paid for by selling all my bits & bobs on Ebay.ALL my daughters wish list were purchased, paid for and wrapped with out the need for Credit. Me and hubby are just glad to be together, we haven't bought for each other.
Xmas goodies are all from Aldi or Lidl, and have been bought with each months shop.
No vast quantities of beer or wine or spirits this year, but happy lifted spirits in our hearts. Mum,sister and best friend all getting home-made chilli oil and lazy garlic.
Hope people don't mind reading my ramblings just to wanted to pass on some of our good cheer.
PS- It is not all plain sailing, but it is 150% better than it was, Merry Xmas everyone.

MRBLUESKY

Post by MRBLUESKY » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:18 pm
nice one and it gets better.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:22 pm
What a great post, I'm so happy to read that you and hubby are back on track with your marriage a great present for you both.

You ought to start a blog. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

greeneyes34

Post by greeneyes34 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:50 pm
a great post. This will be the first christmas in I don't know how many years that has been bought and paid for in cash and not credit and i have to say it is a great feeling.

Merry Christmas! x
Full and Final agreed 28th October 2010.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:19 pm
Those presents will be appreciated far more than the ones you have given in previous years, as they have love wrapped right around them and they will give joy in the kitchen right through the next year.

Have a lovely time - you really do deserve it.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:29 pm
well done indebtscared its a fantastic feeling to do Christmas without the plastic-I think this is the first year ever that we have felt we have earned a good Chrismas-when youve paid cash and saved for everything it really does feel special.To tell the truth we dont feel like were really missing out on anything in the iva.Imagine the New Year with no credit card bills-catalogue payments that will take you til next year to pay off-its like one big vicious circle has been taken away from us.
Like the visa advert without the credit-PRICELESS!!!
Peace and Goodwill to all on the forum-lets celebrate the free things in life- family friends and good health!!!
CHEERS!!
full and final accepted January 2015

iva agreed; August 2010
iva would have completed; August 2017
extra year thank's to NRAM

freddy

Post by freddy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:22 am
what a positive post. this is our first christmas in iva. with two chidren under 6 it is a challenge. previously i have done the same and bought for the kids and family on cards then had the stress in the new year. it does feel good this year as you wrap the presents knowing they are paid for!!!!! the kids are not getting as much this year, i do feel some gulit. but then i think at least we are now dealing with the debt and no longer living in denial. it wont be for ever. the best present for the kids is not having such stressed parents worry how we will get through the month one week after pay day! we will make this a fab christmas, hope every one has a good one. being in an iva really makes you reasses what is really important!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:25 am
The only plastic I have used this year is some gift vouchers! This is our third Christmas in an IVA and we make it as festive as we can without going overboard.

The relief afterwards when you're not worrying about the postman calling is priceless.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

love hope and strength

Post by love hope and strength » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:09 am
I'm not yet in an IVA, hope to be by Tuesday !!

I've bought gifts with my own money, rebate from British Gas helped. It's such a good feeling knowing everything is already paid for.

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:17 am
It does feel good to know everything is bought and paid for. My boyfriend and I are having mum, sister and brother-in-law over for a pre-Christmas party next weekend; just a cheeseboard and charcuterie to nibble on with a pudding but it is costing a fortune! And I haven't even factored in booze yet! I have new respect for anyone feeding family all over Christmas this year.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:00 am
We always get people to bring bottles if we have a bit of a get together.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:38 pm
I think forward planning in an IVA for Christmas helps me personally, so long as I know what I need and budget accordingly I'm fine. It's fairly frugal but we get by and have a good time with our family.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

struggling63

Post by struggling63 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:11 pm
Being able to live without credit does give you a buzz for sure.

This is my first Christmas since I finished my IVA, and being able to go into shops and buy things, and have nights out without worry is wonderful.

An IVA may seem like a bit of a slog sometimes, but it's worth it.

susieq

Post by susieq » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:23 pm
Indebtscared - your post reminds me so much of our situation and this will be our 1st Christmas without paying on credit - it will be fantastic to think we will not be paying for it throughout 2011.
Susie Q

lem

Post by lem » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:22 pm
What a fantastic first post to this thread, it really made me smile, well I can't say that our xmas has been totally credit free, as we are just going through the process and had used credit to buy gifts before we made our first phone call at the beginning of the month, however, I am proud of the fact that since we did make that call, we have not used any further credit (thanks to stopping payments!) and are actually using our own money now to budget properly and buy what we need, rather than what we want and it does give you a real sense of satisfaction that whatever I buy now is paid for and I'm not going to receive a huge bill for it in a few weeks time.

going into an IVA is going to be hard for us I'm sure and I am scared of finding it difficult sticking to a budget when we have just spent and spent for so long, but I'm also looking forward to the freedom of just living within our means and not having piles of letters dropping through the doors each day.

Xmas is going to be good, I hope you all have a great one xxx
24 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”