Having cake and eating it!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
42 posts Page 2 of 3

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:59 pm
Some people will agree to anything if they are desperate for the card - I remember pleading with Direct Line for a new loan and they had initially said no. I was nearly on my knees wanting them to agree, which they eventually did.

If you don't mind it going to your creditors, then I don't see a problem with it.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

antm

Post by antm » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:24 pm
My own view on this is that its just wrong, yes they may of forced the ppi on us, but in the end it didn't work as they have now had to write off a proportion of the debt. Once its over, its over for me, ive had some PPI and in the end it may of contributed to me going down the iva route, but its the in the past and should stay there.

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:35 pm
I agree-also if you were *forced* to take out ppi you had a month to cancel(which we always did).
I felt bad enough going for the dmp then iva-trying to claim money back when its all over is just plain greedy.Its like the creditors agreed to throw you a lifeline-you took it and then threw it back in their faces by trying to get more-I couldnt be so hard-faced.
full and final accepted January 2015

iva agreed; August 2010
iva would have completed; August 2017
extra year thank's to NRAM

antm

Post by antm » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:47 pm
The other thing is, i know Barclays and The AA who i had PPI with didn't vote at my creditors meeting. I know this may not be the reason they didn't vote, but in the end they agreed to all my IP's suggestions (not sure if thats the right word) during my IVA.

Before anyone reminds me, i know i had my issues with Barclays later in my IVA, but thats all sorted now, and was due to a different dept.

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:43 pm
We were told by Nat West that we must tale the insurance or no loan. We too the PPI,got the loan then cancelled the PPI, not a thing they could do.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:04 pm
As I'm in a job which pays me when I'm off sick and at the time I took out loans I wasn't likely to be made redundant, there was no point me taking it out and it was never forced on me.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

moretolife

Post by moretolife » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:06 pm
Its always and interesting debate re PPI .....we were so ignorant....and I mean really ignorant that we signed whatever anyone put in front of us .!!! and ended up with PPI on everything

Even when we entered the IVA we hadnt a clue....this forum educated us big time...we didnt even realise we cold have reclaimed it during the IVA...only found out a few months after we did our Full and Final

We thought long and hard about reclaiming the PPI when we finished our IVA and decided we would ....we used a no win no fee and we were successful .

It is a personal decision and I wouldnt judge anyone who did the same .....
IVA completed 11th Dec 2009 due to a Full and Final with the fantastic help of Michael Peoples and
Mc Cambridge Duffy

Visit my blog...Journey from Debt to Life Post IVA
http://moretolife.blogs.iva.co.uk

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:10 pm
Personally, I think if you have been mis-sold any service you should try and claim any monies paid in.

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:10 pm
Can I ask how much your creditors wrote off and how much you reclaimed?

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:20 pm
I agree that mis-selling should be redressed under normal circumstances when loans are repaid in full as per the contract.

But why not consider the PPI as offsetting the debt written off by your creditors?

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:46 pm
Good point BOL - however,if PPI is reclaimed post IVA, would anyone pay it over to creditors? Personally, I wouldn't as the creditors heaped charges onto hubby's account when they knew he was proposing an IVA. So, the figure they actually "offset" differs from what I believe it should have been.

MRBLUESKY

Post by MRBLUESKY » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:21 pm
totally agree julie the same thing happened to me.

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:20 am
I agree about the heaping charges. I'll be asking IP to see copies of what creditors submitted when evidencing their claims...i submitted debt totals late to get an accurate figure yet all but one piled on at least a few hundred pounds in the month up to the meeting. I know they're not blameless.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:25 am
I don't agree that someone can lodge this sort of claim once an IVA has concluded. The debts have been compromised and written off by nature of the conclusion of the IVA. There can be no future right to claim mis-sold policies or unfair charges.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

JB1520

Post by JB1520 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:59 am
But with best will in the world Melanie, If the person(s) under the tag MORE TO LIFE have done this then for me that is a precedent that I will follow.

I am also at the moment still fighting to get defaults lifted on my credit report. IT IS 2 YEARS since my full and final so dont anyone come on hear and be a do gooder and tell me its wrong to claim. These institutions havent had the grace to do what they should have done in January 2009, so I will proceed with the PPI claims and enjoy what it brings.
42 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”