How come if you go BR

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
44 posts Page 2 of 3

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:30 pm
That is what the majority of IVA's say. However, it is highly unlikely that you would be able to get any credit anyway, for whatever amount.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:39 pm
The only place you could possibly get it would be somewhere like Bright House, but you have to be mad to use them.

The APR is astronomical and if you fall behind on the payments they will come and repossess whatever you have bought.

The question is - how are you going to afford to make any payments to a credit agreement whilst in an IVA?
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

johnnybriggs

Post by johnnybriggs » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:39 pm
I only just found out (Professor emeritus) Michael Green died last year following a heart operation. He had a powerful mind, especially when it came to debtor/creditor fairness.
JB

craigiewicked1

Post by craigiewicked1 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:25 pm
I have to say that I am in an IVA and have learned my lesson, if i want a car in the future i will save for it,if i want a holiday i will save for it, i do not want credit ever again, the stress of it nearly killed me. I am 2 years into my IVA and coping ok but when its over i wont borrow a brass farthing off anyone, they are all sharks and they wont bite me twice

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:59 pm
I'll never say never, I'll just do it in moderation rather than greed as i did pre-IVA. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:01 pm
Same here Lesley.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:16 pm
I'll never say never as it's not easy to go through life without credit. It's easy to say you'll save for something (e.g. a car) but it's not so easy in practice.

Rosepetal

Post by Rosepetal » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:26 pm
after the awful mess we were in i'm frightened of credit. we don't have enough coming in to have credit cards.

i agree cars are a different matter.
it's very easy for cc's to run out of control with 1/2 un forseen disasters,ie washer breaking. i never want to go through this again.
Nothing stays the same...everything changes..hang on in there!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:09 am
You think so RP? Speaking to one of our neighbours yesterday, they have a problem child aged 15 who has managed to get two credit cards by applying online and has used them to go internet shopping!!!!!!
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:11 am
Oh that is not good Jan and certainly needs looking into!
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:30 am
Lesley, he is a total nightmare for his parents!!! He has two older siblings who are fine (one is a Special Constable!) and a twin sister who is a lovely girl. I think he got all the nasty genes in that family.

His parents are having to go to parenting classes for him - not that it will make a lot of difference. I can see him ending up inside in the not too distant future.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:43 am
Sometimes it can happen - as you know my 4 are different, so difficult for the parents though.

olydak

Post by olydak » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:52 am
I said never again will i have credit, in 5 years i have stuck to the budget, i'm conditioned to continue with that budget, as in an iva if you need something without credit you make savings where you can no matter how long it takes you to save for it, you will save for it if you need it. About three years ago RBS told me they were scrapping the electron/solo card with my key account and offered me a Visa card instead i was filled with shock and horror i resisted acceptance of this each time it was offered to me untill about one year ago when they said i was one of the last to have one, it wasn't the fact it was a debit card that bothered me so much but a "VISA" one, since then i have got used to having it and like the benefits of having one, purchasing tickets online or buying fuel at all night pumps for example.
Yesterday was my first day for 5 years of not having to pay money into my iva,i dreamt about being able to draw extra cash out for a long time, i enjoyed having more money in my pocket but couldn't spend it because i'm now conditioed not to spend, so i have learnt a lesson from my iva. I think i will be able to stick to to a no credit resolution for the future.

Regards David

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:14 am
Lesley, it is difficult for the parents and they are a lovely couple.

Olydak - my first thing once the IVA is finished is a new suite, and if I can do it on interest free credit then I will. As long as I can afford the payments.
Bob Marley.

olydak

Post by olydak » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:41 am
Best of luck Lesley with the suite.

Regards David
44 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”