How can an IVA affect our insurance premiums ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
98 posts Page 4 of 7

CoverItAll

Post by CoverItAll » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:03 pm
Hi Broke of London
How do you know they carried out a credit check, and was your IVA on the Insolvency Register at that time ?

I would just send them an e-mail quoting your policy number to confirm it.
John Tegg
john.tegg@dms4asu.co.uk
http://www.paymentcover.co.uk
STANDARD TERMS for Forum Members for Home Insurance, Self Employed Tradesman's Public Liability, and Short Term Income Protection.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:11 pm
Hi John.

I am not advocating that people no not disclose a material fact. Far from it. And now, it seems, an IVA IS a material fact then it is only prudent to check with our insurers.

All I would like to know is how far do you go? If the insurance industry will not define "material fact", then we are surely not in a position to do so!

In all honesty I would never have thought my IVA would impact on my ability to drive, or the risks associated thereto.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:11 pm
Will do - thank you! For info though, I was on the register at the time and the insurer (diamond) mentioned credit checks as they lend the money for premiums up front so my monthly insurance payment in reality is a loan repayment as the insurance has been paid. You may get a call from me on Wednesday!! I will let everyone know diamond's position x

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:14 pm
I know the hayfever poit was a joke but as a hayfever sufferer who regularly bombs down the motorways at 70mph...you can travel a serious distance in the time it takes to rock out a couple of sneezes. Ive nearly found myself up the back of a lorry that slowed down in front of me!!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:02 pm
It's not just the sneeze, BoL, sometimes the "build up" can be pretty dramatic too !

Have you informed your insurance ;0)

I think I will just give up my licence gracefully now !
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:18 pm
I know what you mean about the build up but didn't know how to phrase it without oversharing!!!

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:59 pm
Just had a reply from hubby's insurance company - being in an IVA or having had one will not affect our premiums. Will be holding onto that email!!
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:20 pm
that's good news Kazza, wondering if I should maybe contact them as you just never know. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:10 pm
I'm going to check tomorrow. It's a bit of a shag but I'd rather know now than worry about when something happens! My tendency to worry could spin out of control LOL!!!!

CoverItAll

Post by CoverItAll » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:45 pm
Hi kazzafunk, can you confirm the name of the insurance company, and what type of policy (motor, home, etc)
John Tegg
john.tegg@dms4asu.co.uk
http://www.paymentcover.co.uk
STANDARD TERMS for Forum Members for Home Insurance, Self Employed Tradesman's Public Liability, and Short Term Income Protection.

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:54 pm
Hi - yes it's van insurance (private not company) and is with Ageas Insurance
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:17 pm
The only time I'd see a IVA being a problem with car insurance is when you pay monthly (They may think of it as credit). But even then if you don't keep up the payments they can just cancel the insurance.

Being in a IVA, having done a IVA has NO IMPACT on my ability to drive, does not increase the chances of having a accident or making a claim. It's of no ones business, it's irrelevant to the insurance and has already been shown when people have volunteered the information to the insurance company that it's not relevant and certainly not a material fact worthy of mentioning.

If they want to know about insolvency, they should ask the question like they do on mortgage applications not leave it to people to second guess what is material or not. I fail to see it being material myself.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:24 pm
I know it probably won't be popular but I completely agree with The Matrix. When I was actually BR I checked with my insurer at the time (Churchill) and they had no problem with insuring me although this was verbal and not written. I made a claim whilst BR and this was paid promptly and at no time did they mention my BR.

And before anyone jumps on me I am NOT suggesting that anyone doesn't take John's advice. I am sharing my experiences and opinions.
Last edited by Skippy on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:34 am
What a fascinating post, and how good of John to take time to alert forum posters about the potential pitfalls of insurance companies trying to wriggle out of their liabilities.

It is a great idea to get you all to check with your insurers about whether an IVA/bankruptcy or other form of debt compromise might affect or invalidate your insurance. If John is happy to collate the results, then perhaps Admin can publish these on the forum for all to refer to.

As an IP, it would be really helpful to know those companies who are not effected by the presence of an IVA so that we can make sure our clients are as fully protected as possible.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:53 am
I made a claim through LV last year when some b**** scraped the side of my parked car and drove off without stopping but a witness saw it and wrote down their number plate, another witness recognised the driver. Was I lucky :-)

Not once was insolvency mentioned in making the claim or granting me insurance.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.
98 posts Page 4 of 7
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”