Head out of the sand!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
17 posts Page 1 of 2

puppy

Post by puppy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:03 pm
Well, today I have spent about 6 hours sorting out paperwork etc in preparation & subsequently realised that I now owe £10k more than when I last totalled it up which was around this time last year. If only I had sorted it out then rather than struggling on & ending up with more debt as a result![:(]

Oh well, at least I'm on the right track now. [:I]

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:05 pm
You are about the same as the rest of us!! We all thought we owed more than we did.

You are on the right track - we're here for you!!

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:06 pm
I do believe we were all the same and had I acted when I first recongised there was going to be a problem, my IVA would be complete now.

You've acknowledged it now and moving forward so heading in the right direction. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Struzzo39

Post by Struzzo39 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:08 pm
Good luck in getting on the right track x
Steven & Debbie

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:10 pm
The main thing is, this time you are doing something about it. Well done.
http://mrsskint.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Our Story'

Nil carborundum illegitimi

puppy

Post by puppy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:13 pm
It's nice to know I'm not the only one! Although I can directly see what landed me in this mess (8 yrs of f/t education / relationship breakdown / loss of equity / subsequent expensive rental market as a single person), it does seem pretty shameful as I've got a really professional job with a good salary & am super efficient at work. I just tackled a MASSIVE pile of unopened letters which I have been avoiding for ages [:I]

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:16 pm
A lot of us are professionals and in the same boat, don't be hard on yourself. You're sorting it out now that's the main thing x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

harrimav

Post by harrimav » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:36 pm
I am at exactly tha same stage as you - entering into and iva, a professional ,
great salary etc
It is a huge relief to admit there is a problem an if
There is a support group such as AA then this is it.

My husband is still not speaking to me and I know it'll be bad for the next few weeks
But get a good IP and things will start to improve c
harrimav

herbekj

Post by herbekj » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:38 pm
You are not alone....

Never talked about this before or posted it but this was the final end to realising something had to done and that's when I took my head out of the sand.

I tried my last (stupid) consolidate attempt all loans together (45K) as secured on the house.

Was approved but there is ownership problem and I was suddenly struck with a huge gout attack on one of my legs. Having mananged to get to the outside of A&E my phone rang and I had someone on the phone asking what was the problem getting the loan approved. I was sat on a wall outside A&E telling this (di***he*d) i couldn't get the owners of the property to agree the secured loan as we were estranged and in massive pain and as outise A&E and nothing i could do.

THe verbal abuse after that was then intolerable as this person sulked on his lost commmision was appaling. Obviously I hung up but thatwas my trigger for the IVA as loan after loan was a just a dead end.
Last Payment - November 2011 - Completion Certificate received 2 weeks after last payment, Removed from Insolvency Register within 4 weeks after last payment.

orchid5

Post by orchid5 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:54 pm
Definately not alone there Puppy i have been there, done that and wore the tshirt too, you have now taken that all important step to realise that you can't go on. Good luck with whatever path you take to stop any further debt. xxx
Om shanti, namesté, good luck to all who are embarking on the IVA journey, it isn't always an easy one but the outcome is the best.

IVA COMPLETED August 2012, received Completion certificate 18.4.13.

orchid5

Post by orchid5 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:55 pm
Strange how things happen Herbekj, i'm a great believer in things happen for reasons and someone was looking after you there. x
Om shanti, namesté, good luck to all who are embarking on the IVA journey, it isn't always an easy one but the outcome is the best.

IVA COMPLETED August 2012, received Completion certificate 18.4.13.

herbekj

Post by herbekj » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 pm
You know, that is so how it seems.

6 years later, in hindsight was the best conversation ever.

I had a huge problem and debt consolidation wasn't the answer.

Maybe I should thank them for pushing me into an IVA!
Last Payment - November 2011 - Completion Certificate received 2 weeks after last payment, Removed from Insolvency Register within 4 weeks after last payment.

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:59 pm
It sounds like something out of the movies herberkj!!

Definitely a guardia angel looking after you that night x

dipsy

Post by dipsy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:50 am
As we are all baring our souls.. here goes. I was left a third share of a bungalow owned by my parents. I had my own house so decided to sell and move into the bungalow and pay my sister's off with the proceeds of the sale of my house. Cutting a long story short, I moved in with one of my sisters and met my partner. He moved in with us and has not been able to work since due to chronic pain and neuropathy. I realised at that point that I had £70K debt! We sold the house and I paid off the majority of my debts but still leaving about £20K owing which I thought I could manage. More credit cards later I ended up not being able to pay these and the rest is history... We live and learn! (Hopefully). I just wish that I had entered an IVA 5 years ago and I would be in a much better position now. As they say, pride comes before a fall! I too am a professional and I stupidly thought that people like me did not end up like this! How wrong I was.
You are doing the right thing and for your sanity and peace of mind, you won't regret it!
Take what life throws at you and hold your head up high. You're only human after all!!!

Rod Newman

Post by Rod Newman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:05 am
Puppy, as everyone else has said you are not alone. Indeed it takes a reality check and in particular one assisted by a good IP admin team to make you realise just how far out of touch with the actual debt you really are. From a personal point of view until I got my head out of the sand and actually talked through the problem that I had been ignoring for more years than I care to remember that I realised just how much debt i was actualy in. It also helped me to see where I was spending it (mostly on interest to loan companies in my case)!.
Rod
Most day's you feel like the statue but just once in a while you get to be the pigeon!
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”