Been through it

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
46 posts Page 3 of 4

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:48 pm
I can remember interacting with James.C on the forum all those years ago (can't believe how many!), and can I say how pleasant it is to see he has taken time to come back on and share his experiences and thoughts with the forum community.

Some pretty harsh and judgemental comments - not the norm on the forum I have to say - towards a guy who has always put his family first and come through some rough times. I would hate to see this forum degrade into some of the others I watch (but do not post on). Please guys, have a little respect for someone who has come back with the intention of sharing his story to show that there is life after an IVA, but it may not always be the bed of roses it might seem.

Thank you Jimmy - and please stick around. PS - I would love to see an updated photo of the twins. I remember you sending me one when they were babes in arms, and they must be bright little ladies now?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Jimmy123

Post by Jimmy123 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:53 pm
Hi Melaine great to hear from you.

I will get an update photo of you in their school uniform i think last time you saw the photo they were about 1.

For those who have joined since i was james.c melaine helped me agreat a deal and even got involved with my IP to sort it ou, as soon as i mentioned melaine to my ip he started shaking in his boots, which i think show how well respected melaine is in this industry and understands it inside out.

Jimmy123

Post by Jimmy123 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:56 pm
can some one tell me how to add a photo so i can show the twins

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:57 pm
Thanks Jimmy - for the words and the photo offer. I shall look forward to reciving it, and hope to hear more from you on the forum in the future.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:59 pm
Might be better that you send it to me via e-mail. The link is on my profile page. It is an unfortunate sign of the times, but I am not sure the administrators of the forum would want to be responsible for the publishing of a children's photo. But it will be very safe if e-mailed to me directly.

admin

Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:04 pm
Hi Jimmy
We wish to apologise to you for some of the previous postings.

We are very disturbed that our ethos has been disregarded and need to warn posters that our moderators will remove judgemental postings and may indeed lock the posters out until a public apology is received. If you are in any doubt please refer to our Forum Etiquette http://www.iva.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19592

Thank you Jimmy for continuing to post.
Admin

Posting Guidelines:
Industry Experts
-Must have appropriate licenses
-Advice is transparent and clear
-No solicitation (web link in signature is ok)

Forum Experts
-Give advice based on personal experience
-Are impartial and transparent

Jimmy123

Post by Jimmy123 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:06 pm
you have no need to apologise, yes it was not nice but equally everyone as a right to view their views, but it might also be my fault for not cleraly explaining

mazbrown

Post by mazbrown » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:08 pm
Well said "Admin" , People need to feel comfortable when giving honest posts on the site .

footiemad

Post by footiemad » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:19 am
I enjoyed reading Jimmy's post and hope to see many more in the future. It certainly gives me hope when at times I feel like kicking the walls down. Carry on posting Jimmy x

Hyperdrive

Post by Hyperdrive » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 am
Thanks for posting Jimmy - just picked up the thread this morning. It`s really great you`ve taken the time to share your journey. I found it interesting, challenging and different. I often wonder what happens to people after their IVA has finished and how their use of credit changes.
After reading your experiences I was amazed at the negative comments posted afterwards. There aren`t enough people on here willing to share thoughts on how to manage in a debt promoting post IVA scenario, and the ignorance displayed is truly frightening.

Sensible77

Post by Sensible77 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am
I’ve been a member of this forum since April 2007, (I can only recall Skippy and Melanie as still posting from that time), and whilst not posting much, I read it frequently. I find it difficult to get my point across in posts and have found that people sometimes miss the point of what I’m trying to say. I enjoyed reading Jimmy’s post and noticed that the posters who had a go at him were relatively new to the forum and have now stopped posting on this topic. One of the good things about this forum is that it is non-judgemental, unlike many others such as ones Melanie has referred to. I would like to think that people who get through an IVA don’t become like reformed smokers, i.e. holier than thou.
At the risk of making myself unpopular, the only ones who got into this debt is us. As Jimmy posted “However one thing that I have not ever seen on this forum is that irrespective of the reason why we ended up in IVA we have to take responsibility and not blame 3rd partys or outside influences.” That’s not quite true, as I’m sure that I’m not the only one who doesn’t blame the banks, has a sob story or anything else that exonerates them from responsibility for their situation. My advice for anyone entering into an IVA is to read your proposal thoroughly and ask as many questions as necessary. It’s too late afterwards saying nobody told me this that or the other. An IVA is not sold to you, but is an option for you, and only you, to decide upon. We’re all adults and an IVA is a way of wiping the slate clean and starting again. Even if you repay 100% of the debt at the time the IVA started, you’re still not paying the true amount as the interest and other charges have been frozen. I don’t intend to take on debt again, but who knows if the need may arise. There is nothing wrong with debt, as long as it’s manageable.
Sorry to go on, but I’d also like to say that the IVA company is not your enemy and is there to help you just as much as they are there to help your creditors. Forget about the amount of fees etc., you’re not paying them, your creditors are. However, I’m not blind to the fact that there are currently issues with PPI and certain IVA companies on this board.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:05 pm
That's a brilliant post Sensible77. I don't blame the banks for my debts - maybe they shouldn't have lent me as much as they did but I was the one who applied each time and no one forced me into it. Although going BR was the right decision in the end for me I do wish my IVA had been successful. If it could have been varied maybe it would have been, but one of the modifications was no variations inside 24 months.

Sensible77

Post by Sensible77 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:24 pm
Yes, it was very easy to borrow money at that time and like you, I took it, and that's our responsibility. I can't see a return to those days of easy credit, and hope they don't.

I do recall your posts about your IVA journey that was unsustainable and that you went BR. I'm glad that it worked out for you.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:32 pm
Thanks! I can't believe it was 2007 that you started posting! Time seems to be going so quickly!

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 pm
Sensible and honest discussion points, which I am sure a lot of posters will actually relate to in their own cases.
46 posts Page 3 of 4
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”