HELP help. Any advice about a compromise agreement would really help. Scared stiff.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

Amandadon22

Post by Amandadon22 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:22 pm
HELP help, any advice please, i posted before and gained not many answers although lots of views. My headteacher is getting rid of higher paid teachers, although OFSTED think we are goo and outstanding teachers, she got friend in who said we were unsatisfactory. Unions involved and trying to sort something called compromise agreement? Does anyone have any law background now what i should expect from this, also i am scared stiff that i will not have job after 31st May, they are looking into agreed reference but i am worried these are for BAD teachers who have done something wrong. Any advice from people in the know would really help!!! My IVA will probably have to fail as i am the main wage earner and we will still owe £16000.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:30 pm
This is also happening to one of my clients at the moment, and her union has advised her to accept the compromise, rather than having a bad record sit on her file which - regardless of the circumstances - will be viewed by future employers as a black mark.

Compromise agreements are simply agreements by employer and employee to avoid calling a dismissal a dismissal, or redundancy a redundancy. They are useful to employers as a mechanism to avoid industrial tribunals - which still tend to side with the employee - and have the advantage for tbe employee of providing suitable references to take to new employers. They almost always involve the payment of money by employer to employee.

Julie - our resident HR expert can probably explain them better than I can, but turning to the effect on your IVA it might be possible to ask creditors to accept what they have reveived so far in full and final settlement - or to accept some or all of your compromise agreement monies. I really do hope that it does not come to this for you,
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Amandadon22

Post by Amandadon22 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:14 pm
Hi melanie thanks for that,i don't think that they would take a settlement on what we have paid, we have 16000 left to pay over 35 months. Only paid just over10000 of 26000 .could you possibly tell me how to contact the HR link on here they may help with imparcial advice. Also you mentioned you had a client in a similar situation I was wondering what you had done to, help them. I am with grant thornton and I wrote a letter in march explaining and I contacted karol a couple of days ago, no response as yet. How can I possibly give my settlement money to gt it will only prob be about 7000 and I will have 2 young children and no job. Surely until I get a job I need the money. Sorry for so many questions and thanks again

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:39 pm
With regard to my own client, she is only under threat of this at the moment but it is very fluid and I think her final hearing is the end of this week.

One of the moderators ought to be able to put you in touch with Julie. I am afraid I cannot, as I have no administrative access to this site.

The questions of how you will fund yourself into the future, and how the IVA will be effected by the loss of your employment, can only realy be addressed by your own IP directly. Try and e-mail Karol again, as I am sure she does look into the forum still quite regularly.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

admin

Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 01, 2013 9:23 am
Hi Amandadon22
We have sent an email to Julie asking her to have a look at this thread. We know she is very busy right now, so fingers crossed she will have a few moments spare.
Admin

Posting Guidelines:
Industry Experts
-Must have appropriate licenses
-Advice is transparent and clear
-No solicitation (web link in signature is ok)

Forum Experts
-Give advice based on personal experience
-Are impartial and transparent

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed May 01, 2013 9:33 am
Hi Amandadon22

Compromise agreements ( changing to settlement agreements) as Melanie says are used to agree an exit from employment. The employee can use this as a bargaining tool to ensure references etc. are included.

They are legally binding and a solicitor is required to authorise the agreement - the employer sets a fee and covers this cost.

Use the union to ensure the best agreement is agreed.

If you need help off forum, admin will give you my email address.

I am away a lot at the moment and internet access is not guaranteed, so apologies for any delay.

Thanks Admin and Foggy for alerting me to this thread.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”