I am in the process of clearing up my credit records

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
29 posts Page 2 of 2

inextinguishable

Post by inextinguishable » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:37 pm
I really need to get on with sending the rest of my letters to creditors...

Well, I hear that quite often the account is only defaulted some time after the IVA begins, either a month or two as in my case, or years in some cases - perhaps it happens when accounts are reviewed or sold on. Such a small amount, all mine were much bigger :-) Seems unusual since they presumably have IVA completion but maybe they're thinking they need to write off the rest now. In any case same as anything else, if the default date recorded against that default is after the start of the IVA, you'll need to write a letter to the creditor. I'll post what I'm sending to mine.
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Virtual-Unknown

Cheers for that advice, ill get on to it tonight, I've already sent them one correction with an address they got wrong.

In an interesting turn of events though, I got an alert from Experian today to tell me that there had been an update on my report with them and one of my creditors who was part of my iva has just added a default to my profile with an current balance of £287, can they do this and why has it only just shown up now?

inextinguishable

Post by inextinguishable » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:36 pm
Hi,

I said a while ago I'd post the letter I'm sending to my creditors. Actually took me a while to sort out - probably 5 hours, even though just 5 creditors, because it took a while to get everything straight, so I'm also going to post some what I hope are helpful tips.

Your Experian credit report actually has a list of helpful addresses at the bottom, for all the creditors it lists, so this is where you should look to find out the addresses to send to.

I found that with some creditors the balance was marked as satisfied but the date was too late, and some had the correct default date but not marked as satisfied. In these cases I modified the letter shown below by replacing the list with a single bullet point. However I added a comment below to the effect that I noted that the balance was marked as satisfied, or that the date was correct.

I had already contacted a couple by phone - one had sorted it all out correctly, whereas the other had marked as satisfied but not changed the date, so I'm writing to them but added a note saying thanks for updating the balance but date still wrong (in addition to the standard text).

I went through all 3 reports checking them against each other. In once case, a debt had been sold on, and Noddle (CallCredit) listed only the original debt (marked as satisfied, but wrong default date); whereas Equifax seems to list only the purchased debt (so it was listed under Max Recovery instead of MBNA) and had the correct default date but not marked as satisfied, so I'm writing to both MBNA and Max Recovery with appropriate letters.

In once case it took me a while to find the account number, eventually I concluded that the current owner of the debt bought it from Barclaycard but they bought it from Egg - I only worked this out because the Egg one was listed under Noddle with entries until end December, then satisfied, but the new owner has entries from January onwards only, and for roughly the same amount. And in several cases the last 4 digits listed in the credit report seemed not to match the actual original card number, so this all proved quite time comsuming.

Another thing, in the letter I have a paragraph saying "name of creditor" was included in the IVA, I haven't filled these in yet, so I think I'll go through filling in the name of the _original_ creditor but comment on the fact it was purchased by the current owner, if appropriate.

Here's the letter I've written, somewhat based on other letters people have posted but I prefer to use more direct language than some:

Data Control Officer
<CREDITOR>
<ADDRESS>

Dear Sir or Madam,

Re: Account Number <NUMBER>

I am writing to request that you formally update my credit files in accordance with the Data Protection Act, as they contain incorrect information as detailed below.

I entered into an IVA on <START DATE> and subsequently received my Notice of Completion of Voluntary Arrangement pursuant to rule 5.34 of the insolvency rules 1986 on <END DATE>, and <name of creditor> was included within the IVA. I have enclosed the Notice of Completion which confirms the start and end date of the IVA as indicated here.

Currently the information that you have recorded against my name with the Credit Reference Agencies is factually incorrect, and I therefore ask that you make the following corrections:

(1) If the account is marked as defaulted, the default entry must be no later than <Start date>, in accordance with the Data Protection Act, as guidelines state that the default date should be no later than the start of the IVA.

(2) The account should be marked as settled or satisfied, in accordance with the Data Protection Act, as guidelines state that the account should be marked to indicate that no further payments are due.

The Information Commissioner has indicated that I should allow you 28 calendar days from the date you receive this letter to comply, during this time you are requested either to update the Credit Reference Files correctly (of all three Credit Reference Agencies) or notify me in writing the reasons that you refuse to.

If further information is required, please do not hesitate to contact me by phone, email, or post, as I am keen to resolve the problems as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully

inextinguishable

Post by inextinguishable » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:44 pm
I'm also adding the following paragraph to people like MAX Recovery etc who have bought debts from others.

(If you hold any accounts in my name which I have omitted to mention, or for which I have quoted incorrect details, then I ask that you take the following request to apply to any other accounts in my name also, since these would also have been included in the IVA.)

Virtual-Unknown

Post by Virtual-Unknown » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:53 pm
Hi inextinguishable,

Thanks for posting this, it will prove very useful as further to my posts above, Max Recovery have added a default to my credit report after I received my CC which they should not have done, I can now use your letter as a basis for sending my own to them.

skint til payday

Post by skint til payday » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:40 pm
Thank you for this advice from me too!!.. it will be very usefful once I start to look into mine shortly.

inextinguishable

Post by inextinguishable » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:02 am
By the way, two more things that are confusing when trying to sort through everything:

(1) Often the reference when a loan is sold on seems to not end in quite the same last four characters, they're shifted by 1 place, so e.g. something ending in 4650 might become something ending 650 1 (i.e. a digit added and the first digit dropped) or in a couple of cases the reference seems to change completely - looking at the date when one entry is marked as settled, and another magically appears, happening at the same time, seems to be a good clue as to when a debt has been transferred.

(2) So, I had credit cards with Egg and B'card. But the debt currently listed as Barclaycard is actually the Egg one (because B'card own Egg) - the Barclaycard one has disappeared without trace (not even listed as settled). The Egg one which become B'card subsequently got transferred to someone else with completely different reference.

inextinguishable

Post by inextinguishable » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:23 am
If you have any creditors you can't find on your Experian credit report (e.g. because only listed on the others), the ICO website may help to find the address: http://www.ico.org.uk/esdwebpages/search

inextinguishable

Post by inextinguishable » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:20 am
I recently wrote to MBNA, something like the standard letter above, just asking for the date to be changed, and including the following paragraph:

(I note that debt is marked as satisfied because it was sold on, but the date still needs to be corrected.)

MBNA responded within a week but wrote that they are no longer reporting my account to CRAs as it was sold in Jan 2008. And have (trying to be helpful) passed on the info to the purchaser.

But I'm a bit annoyed, the default date is after the start of the IVA, and surely they need to correct this even though they are no longer reporting the account to CRAs? Because I assume that the new owner of the debt counts as a separate debt, so my understanding is that both the old and new owners need to ensure the data is correct? Otherwise I'll have to wait longer for the debt to be written off.

Should I write to them again, or are they correct in saying "not our problem"?

Well, it's only 3 weeks late at least. But then again I'm paying a lot of interest on an expensive loan I'd like to transfer to a cheaper lender as soon as my credit rating improves.

As an aside, I posted 7 such letter First Class Recorded. By noon the next day I could see that 4 had arrived. But a week later, the other 3 still had no indication of delivery. I guess I'll need to send them again to make sure, but don't really want to duplicate letters and cause confusion!

skint til payday

Post by skint til payday » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:04 am
Hi there I have been clearing up my files too and just wondered if you actually got everything sorted out? Im still waiting for the Halifax to remove my final default and then everything else has disappeared.

inextinguishable

Post by inextinguishable » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:41 pm
OK, Yes I've had mixed success.

With Cahoot I had a default about 2.5 months after my IVA start date, but they were very good, I just made a phone call to them, and they removed it pretty quickly, even phoned a week later to confirm. Can't fault them.

MINT was my next worst one, being some 37 days after my IVA start. They didn't respond to my request after about 2 months. However, I just phoned them a couple of days ago, and they said they had asked the CRA they deal with (apparently just the one) to remove the record. I have checked and I think it has actually disappeared from all of them now (even though it's still a couple of weeks until my 6 year point.

MBNA is the next worst, being 19 days late. But I just phoned them today, and spent about 10 minutes talking to them before they tried to put me through to someone who could help, and just cut me off. The problem here is they sold the debt on at the end of 2008, so when I wrote a letter to them, they just passed it onto the debt purchaser. But it is the date they reported back at the end of 2008 that is the problem, not what the new purchaser is reporting. They said they can't just change the date, and I said but I sent you the documentation and you have to change incorrect information. But because they are no longer reporting the debt, they are just not playing ball. In a month it will no longer matter anyway, just it's a shame to have to wait an extra couple of weeks.

And I had a couple about 7 days after, which I've definitely given up on as they are also people who sold the debt on and basically not interested.

Quite a few others including PCO Holdco were quite good and updated the date or marked as settled when asked. The only ones who have failed to mark as settled are Barclaycard, who still show the debt as outstanding despite a couple of letters. BUT they had a default date of 14th September 2007, a bit before my anniversary date so it should disappear tomorrow anyway.

Well, even if no-one does anything else, I should be completely clear of anything bad on my credit file in 33 days.

font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by skint til payday

Hi there I have been clearing up my files too and just wondered if you actually got everything sorted out? Im still waiting for the Halifax to remove my final default and then everything else has disappeared.

sponge

Post by sponge » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:28 pm
Nice to see to more about to bite the dust. Equifax have a UK call centre and they'll shift the IVA out of the NOC if it's been put there, over the phone...Wait to see what happens to your credit score
just post clear of your IVA from your CR...

skint til payday

Post by skint til payday » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:05 pm
Ive just checked my Experian credit score and it has shot up to 962!!
I cannot believe it.and My Equifax file is now showing 545!!
The only issue I had was trying to find out who took on my Lloyds Tsb account however, has it was over the six year frame time I complained to Lloyd directly and they agreed to have t removed directly with Equifax.

stewpots

Post by stewpots » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:00 pm
All my default dates are on the date I entered the IVA or before which is good. I completed about a year ago, many creditors show know 'settled date' . Is that important would it improve my 'credit score' if I wrote to them ?

inextinguishable

Post by inextinguishable » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:56 pm
No, you need do nothing. I believe the debts should simply disappear 6 years after the default date, but certainly the default will disappear, so that is fine. The settled date does not matter.
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by stewpots

All my default dates are on the date I entered the IVA or before which is good. I completed about a year ago, many creditors show know 'settled date' . Is that important would it improve my 'credit score' if I wrote to them ?
29 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”