Can I be expected to pay the money, which I don't have, when the error lies with IVA company ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1

Benny.cw

Post by Benny.cw » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:56 pm
I have just reached the final year of my IVA. When my IP has carried out my latest annual review they have discovered an error on their part. The error being I get paid 4 weekly and they have been basing their reviews on a monthly income figure. In short, even though all previous reviews have said no additional monies have been due into the IVA, they are now saying I do owe additional monies going back 3 years amounting to £1000's. I have always been up front and honest and sent in my payslips 4 weekly and even though the error is on their part they say I need to pay the money in. Can they expect me to pay the money, which obviously I don't have now, when the error lies with them?

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:50 am
Oh dear not good, I'm not able to comment on this but would bump this back up for an expert to comment on.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:22 pm
Hi Benny.cw,

This is a huge oversight and I am surprised it has taken this long for that to be picked up if wage slips were being provided. I believe it would be unreasonable to expect you to have the funds to pay this off in one go but your IVA may need to be extended. That said, even then it seems somewhat unfair. Was it stated anywhere in the proposal or chairmans report the basis on which your income was calculated? If it was and you signed it then there is a joint responsibility as you will have been aware your income was 4 weekly but the basis of your IVA calculation was monthly.

You do need to go back to your IP to get this matter resolved as it would be a great shame for your IVA to fail for this reason after almost being at the finish line. I am sure some agreement can be come to but follow it up if you are not happy.

Keep us posted.
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:28 pm
Not good Benny.cw

Excellent advice from Tina - please try and work with your IP to find a solution.

If there is a problem with having to extend your IVA maybe a proposal can be made to creditors to accept the payments made to date and the final year at a higher rate (using correct income/expenditure) be sufficient to end your IVA.

As Tina says I suppose it lies with not only your IP but the individual to make sure the information presented is correct. That said, we all make mistakes and posts like this help others to make sure they don't fall into the same trap.
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

ClareSilver

Post by ClareSilver » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:19 pm
I can't believe that it's taken them 5 years to realise their error! This is appalling! The income calculations should've been checked by an experienced member of staff at the outset and then again by a person in authority or by the IP themselves.

Which company is it? Whilst you hold some responsibility (you have to sign to say that all is correct), the IVA company also has a joint responsibility too. I would most certainly put a complaint in.

Drew

Post by Drew » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:52 pm
That sounds like the kind of mistake a regulatory body would be interested in. Which company is it dealing with your IVA?
CertDR Qualified

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:26 pm
This should have been noticed when the proposal was drafted and certainly before now. I think the best thing would be a meeting of creditors explaining what had happened and asking for the IVA to complete as normal. You have complied and while there has been errors it would be best to close the case down.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

D A S

Post by D A S » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:04 pm
Would it be possible to extend for the extra payments to be made so it does not fail and then notify your IP that you will pursue this through court.

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:09 pm
Michael's suggestion if acceptable seems a fair way forward.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”