Questions about setting up an IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

Mark.76

Post by Mark.76 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:22 pm
How long on average does it take for an iva to start. Do the creditors vote quickly. What advice can you give me if I have payments due while I am waiting for the iva to start.

Thanks

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:36 pm
Hi Mark. How ling it takes depends upon how complex your affairs are and how quickly you can get together all the required paperwork. On average if everything is straightforward, around 8 weeks, give or take.

Once you have decided this is the way you want to go you can choose to either make token payments or suspend repayments entirely and squirrel the money away for the inevitable rainy day. Many do the former, I did the latter. It doesn't seem to make any difference to the outcome.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:47 pm
I would suggest you open a new bank account if you have any debts to your current bank. This may be easier to do now rather than after the debts start to default.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:52 pm
From the time you first hold discussions with an IP with a view to seeking advice, to making your decision, getting the IVA proposed and holding the creditors meeting generally takes between 6 to 8 weeks in my experience. However it can take much longer if you are not forthcoming with the documentation required, or much shorter if there is a need to move quickly - for instance if you are under threat from creditor action such as charging orders or bankruptcy proceedings.

Creditors will generally vote well in time before the meeting, but there is no set timescale for this and in reality they can come in with their votes right up until the time the meeting commences.

I can concur with Foggy that it makes absolutely no difference whether you continue to make token or pro-rata payments to your creditors during this period, or whether you choose to save for a modest contingency fund.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:52 am
We saved our payments to creditors to build a small contingency up ... Certainly saw us through the first year of emergencies
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

TheArtist

Post by TheArtist » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:27 pm
Welcome to the forum Mark. Notwithstanding all of the above, from your initial contact with your chosen IVA company, the pressure of debt, or it seemed to me, to be instantly eroded. In that I realised the situation and started to proceed with it positively. The first phone call was no big deal but from that moment I knew myself, I was at last going in the right direction. It really did alleviate and incredible amount of angst and stress.
Completed IVA - August 2012 pheeeeeeeeeew
Only my opinion - Nothing More Nothing Less

welshwiz

Post by welshwiz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:17 pm
Hi mark
Would suggest you get plenty of advise to be honest if I had found this forum before iva I would have researched ins and outs of iva and probably gone down debt management route first as it stands at the moment it's going to cost a lot of money in fees for procreate of doing iva

Welshwiz

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:39 pm
How long would it have taken you to repay your debts in a DMP as a matter of interest welshwiz?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”