Am I within my rights to say no to a home visit for my annual review ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
42 posts Page 2 of 3

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:41 am
I think the request for more interaction on the forum is perfectly reasonable and would be of great help to DFD clients.
Last edited by Foggy on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:35 am
I know when I was in my IVA I talked to nobody outside my immediate family and I wouldn't have wanted someone visiting my house! I'd be convinced they were a local representative and would have felt very uneasy with it. Maybe DFD can explain the process now and maybe why it's advantageous over the postal reviews that were previously completed.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

hubert

Post by hubert » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:41 am
If they decided to visit me, I'd probably feel uneasy about it...

So, Evette...?
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

urbanfox

Post by urbanfox » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:37 am
Maybe they have started home visits in order to justify the 23% fees that they take when other companies take 15%?
IVA started Jan 2012
Last payment made June 2014 @100p
Completion certificate received Sept 2014

Credit-King

Post by Credit-King » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:37 pm
All the hassle a home visit would cause!

I would have to hide all the 50" plasma TVs, put the baby grand down in the basement, take down the recent holiday pics to Mauritius and park the 911 round the corner! [:D]
Last edited by Credit-King on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:25 pm
Had to laugh at your response Credit-King[:D]

Seriously though, why does any company need to do a home visit, particularly when going into a 5th year? Having an IVA is stressful enough without that.

Madness

linrog

Post by linrog » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:32 pm
I personally don't see what's wrong with home visits
full final paid over 29/2/16 cc arrived 12/4/16 its all over

hubert

Post by hubert » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:12 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by linrog

Well I can see how they frighten people. I'm not sure I'd like it much but I wouldn't panic.

I think it's perhaps worrying because it smacks of debt-collectors and feels a bit similar.

Or maybe because you're under scrutiny and they may wonder how you managed to afford that second-hand Nintendo Wii!

Nobody seems sure why they might do home visits.

Evette from DFD is about to explain I'm sure... [:)]

Til

Post by Til » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:08 pm
I do feel home visits should be strictly optional.

Mostly I feel this way as I have a friend who is in an IVA and who suffers with anxiety. Especially when dealing with people.

A home visit for my friend would have been extremely stressful and upsetting so I would hope there is an optional element to these visits where they could cause upset.
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

maximoose

Post by maximoose » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:12 pm
I think it is partly to do with the fact that DFD are quite a hands off company, we were told, when we set up our IVA, that it was just a paperwork formality, as long as we paid/did what was expected/asked of us, they wouldn't really bother us, and we have found that to be exactly the case. So the idea that they then need to come and visit us, feels very intrusive. We have told nobody about our situation, and live in a very rural area, where everyone knows your business, so it is going to be hard to explain away.

Til

Post by Til » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:49 pm
DFD were very hands off with us too (in a good way) which I liked as I preferred to not let the IVA be at the forefront of my mind all the time. They left us to our own devices in between reviews but were always helpful when we needed it.

I'm sure there must be a reason for the home visits as there must be overheads involved. However I'm glad we never needed one as likewise our neighbours curtains would have been twitching!
Last edited by Til on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

Radish

Post by Radish » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:54 am
After completing my IVA in March 2014 - I was told there was not need for any more annual reviews. 6 months later I receive a call saying new rules say I must now send in a "final" annual review...They wanted me to scan and email. I said I don’t have a scanner so I posted them to DFD. 3 weeks later I receive a call saying they did not receive (they lost my pay slips and statements) and want to send someone to my house for a home visit to pick up statements and payslips. The guy who came to my house the next day looked like a loan shark. He then began asking questions about stuff in my house In particular I have been collecting Marvel graphic novels which form a picture on the spines – which I have on my wall unit. He was asking how much they was and how long I had been collecting them. I had been getting these at £10 a go (£20 a month) while on my IVA. I was made to feel like I should have been paying that into the pot - I needed some hobby surely?. He asked about a compensation letter for a trip which was on display (about £30)…I felt uneasy and shaking when he left and rang DFD. They advised me he was not there to ask questions and I had a right to meet him in a public place if I wished.. One of the selling factor of a IVA was to avoid this type of thing – phone calls and home visits. Now its part of the IVA?
Last edited by Radish on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IVA complete March 2014 after 6 years.

country girl

Post by country girl » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:58 am
I would not wish anyone to visit me at home as like many other people My IVA is a secret. Just reading the above post I find that very disturbing. I also think DFD should explain on this forum why they have started doing this to their clients.

Credit-King

Post by Credit-King » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:06 am
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by hubert
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by linrog

Evette from DFD is about to explain I'm sure... [:)]
Hubert, a large pink animal just flew past my window.....

hubert

Post by hubert » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:16 am
Cool, a flamingo!

Seriously though, I can only ask that she tells us what Debt Free Direct's policies are on home visits.

I would ask how their continued silence on this troubling issue looks to anyone considering an IVA with them.
Last edited by hubert on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
42 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”