Employment Question

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

nevillebunny

Post by nevillebunny » Sun May 31, 2015 7:43 pm
I currently work full time in retail management but for the last few years I have been trying to get into working in Software Developing. It has been a huge hobby of mine for several years and I am currently in my second year of University doing a degree in it, around working 40 hours a week in retail.

I got the best news ever on Friday and I have been offered a job working as a Junior Developer in a Software company. I was so excited.

The contract came through yesterday, with the usual employee handbook etc. It also asked for consent for reference check, criminal record check and for any other nessecary checks as the deem including a credit check.

I am not sure if my job rule would need a credit check as it is not very clear but in the employee handbook it does say that some of their clients request FCA Checks.

Now I am really panicky and don't know what to do. I have resigned from my current job but dont think my boss has submitted the papers yet.

Do I contact the Software Company and be upfront and say I am concerned about the credit check?

Do I say I am in an IVA?

Do I say nothing and wait and see if they credit check me and come back to me with anything?

I so don't know what to do. I am worried that if I tell them, they may withdraw the offer even if they werent going to do a credit check?

Or what if I don't tell them but they don't credit check me until I start and by then can not go back to my current job?

I so do not know what to do for the best. I have been woring so hard to get into software, tried many companies, many interviews, finally get in with a great software firm and feel like its all about to come crashing down
Currently in an IVA. Not a Financial Professional, any comments expressed are just my opinion.

steppingstones

Post by steppingstones » Sun May 31, 2015 7:52 pm
I think you should be upfront and let them know if you want to put your mind to rest. They are going to find out regardless.
I work in finance and changed jobs a couple years ago.
I was told at my second interview that I was going to have to undergo a credit check. I was completely honest and told them about my IVA and I still got offered the job.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sun May 31, 2015 7:53 pm
You can only be honest.

Most contracts will be unlikely to need a credit check but if clients include banking, the police etc. they will check.

I recently lost a contract opportunity simply because I was not yet out of the iva. The police for example will insist on the cc before they consider someone.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun May 31, 2015 7:55 pm
Given different circumstances I would ride it out and see how it goes, providing that they have not directly asked about any debt solutions you have not lied. They might just ask about the IVA and be happy with the explanation that you got into difficulties and too action to sort them out.

However, all of that is a bit of a gamble and, if you want to keep the safety boat of the old job, it would be best to have a full and frank chat with them and see what they say --- at least you will know where you stand and, if they don't accept the IVA and withdraw the offer, you have a small window of opportunity to keep your old employment for a little longer.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

nevillebunny

Post by nevillebunny » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:32 am
Thank you all for your support.

I decided to be 100% honest with them at least that way no surprises.

They have just got back to me and they fully understand and appreciate me being honest. They have said it is ok. YEY!!!!

Thank you all again, somedays don't know what I would do without the support from you guys and gals.
Currently in an IVA. Not a Financial Professional, any comments expressed are just my opinion.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:34 am
Honesty does go a long way to helping these issues :-)

Congratulations on the new job and the new career :-)

Well Done.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”