half way through!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1

BlueShoes

Post by BlueShoes » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:59 pm
Well-I can't believe I am saying this-but we are half way through [:D](36 months paid-36 to go-assuming we will pay an additional 12 months in lieu of limited equity in our property)

We are just about managing-although there have been a few challenges along the way-(For example,I have just spent £278 on compulsory uniform for my eldest to start high school and although I had tried to save up a little bit it has still massively dented our food budget this month-so beans on toast 3 times a week!-and we will have the same again next year for the next one starting-so trying to put £5 a week on one side now-but not easy when you are counting every single penny[:)])

Car repairs in January were unforeseen too-but we are adding that amount onto the monthly payment-so it is spread out over the remaining 36 months-I just hope we don't have any other car repairs over and above the allowance for running costs as, like most families, the car is essential for work, school runs etc. and is a bit of a worry.

I think another big challenge has been the allowance for clothing. Both hubby and I have to be smart for work and the kids seem to grow an inch every time I look at them. I have really struggled to ensure we are all reasonably dressed within budget. Two of the kids wear adult shoes now-so everything is more expensive-again a challenge, but knowing we are half way through seems to make things seem so much more bearable.

Has it been worth it? Yes-definitely, because although we struggle at times-we know that in another 3 years it will be over and we can put the whole affair behind us. Plus we now budget very carefully-and will never get ourselves into a mess again-and for that learning curve I am grateful too.

Blueshoes

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:03 pm
Really pleased to read your post blueshoes - it is so good to read how people are getting on, espeically when they are so far into their IVA.

The budgeting takes some getting used to but it sounds like you have worked together to do what you need to do.

The half way mark is such a great landmark on the journey and I hope your post gives confidence to others who are thinking about venturing down the same path.

Best wishes,
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:19 pm
Well done on coming this far, I'm 32 payments in this month so not far behind you.

I empathise with you over the compulsory school uniform, for the first time in my IVA it's easier this year as she is going to 6th form and it's a more relaxed business suit she needs which you are able to buy from anywhere and not the specified stockist.

I'm often like you and cut back on the food budget to get something I need.

All the best for the remaining term of your IVA and I sincerely hope it runs smoothly for you xx
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

pm5

Post by pm5 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:55 pm
I too am half way through a 6 year IVA & I must admit I dont know where the last 3 years have gone, considering at the start of my IVA 6 years seemed light years away.
I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel & to be honest this IVA has taught me to appreciate money so in the long run after the IVA is complete, this will hold me in good stead for the future because I never want to be in this predicament again.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:14 pm
Well done for getting so far - you're on the downhill stretch now.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

BlueShoes

Post by BlueShoes » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:40 pm
Thanks for the support-that half-way mark certainly seems like a golden moment!

Blueshoes

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:49 pm
You have been marvellous clients to work with BlueShoes - I cannot believe that we first started dealing with your case over three years ago.

Downhill all the way now!
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Lou74

Post by Lou74 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:13 pm
Well done BlueShoes!
Its great to hear peoples positive stories. Especially for some one like me, who's just starting out. It makes me feel more optimistic about the future. Just got to get the creditors meeting out of the way!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:20 pm
I can't believe that we will soon be halfway through the five years (I try not to think about the extra year!)
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 pm
Well done Blueshoes, and Jan, I can't believe you're nearly halfway through!

BlueShoes

Post by BlueShoes » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:28 pm
Thank you Melanie, the feeling is mutual!

You and your team have been great throughout.

July 2013 here we come!

Blueshoes
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”