What will happen to PPI paid to GT after CC in view of recent court case ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

Amandadon22

Post by Amandadon22 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:47 pm
What will happen to PPI that has been paid to GT supervisor after our certificate of completion . This seems particularly relevant know the court has seen fit to support someone with their case. Iva completed means iva completed now surely!!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:56 am
While an appeal is pending ( as it is) that ruling has no effect, nor will it change anything for those who have entered into any prior agreement relating to PPI which assigns the rights to the refunds to the IP in perpetuity.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:31 am
I would say be grateful that you no longer have to deal with them - based on other posts you are well out of it.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:57 pm
You must also bear in mind that the court case relates only to firms that operate the R3 standard terms and conditions. Win or lose this may not affect those firms using Protocol.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:25 pm
Nothing is certain, but I think the leap from it applying to R3 to applying to Protocol will be an easy one, relying on the spirit of the judgement.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:57 pm
Personally I think it will be difficult. Under the R3 T&Cs effectively all assets not specifically excluded are deemed included whereas the Protocol is more defined in which assets are included. I could see this case going in favour of the IP but a subsequent challenge to Protocol could lead to a more favourable outcome for the debtor.
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:59 pm
To carry on using that logic then, surely, PPI in a Protocol arrangement should not be an issue, as it was never included in the first place, unless an all assets clause was inserted.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:15 am
That could be a reasonable view to take. It may be arguable under Protocol that any PPI during the arrangement was a windfall or after acquired asset so captured anyway but it is certainly grey. You could also argue that getting the clients to sign a deed of assignment is a reasonable request but where PPI is reclaimed post IVA without a DoA I can see that the debtor has a case.

If the debtor in the current case loses it will be interesting to see if a solicitor wants to have a go at the Protocol T&Cs. In my opinion they have a better case.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:36 am
It will be interesting to see what happens !

Personally, I had no interest in my PPI, having been "let off" far more in debt and interest, I was happy to have the refund go into the IVA and draw a line under the whole affair --- which is really the point: Drawing a line under the whole affair. Once the completion certificate has been issued, that should be that and PPI should be dealt with during the term of the arrangement or by assignment.

Of course, eventually the PPI problem will die natural death, but the legal premise that the completion certificate closes matters should survive.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:49 am
I think that is the main thing that people are concerned about. They want their IVAs closed down and if there is PPI to be reclaimed or offset then let the creditors and the IP sort it out. However there are those who feel the PPI belongs to them even after having substantail amounts of their debts written off so there will always be someone trying to have a go.

There are of course solicitors out there happy to take on a case on a 'no win no fee' basis but if they lose a few and have costs awarded against them then this may also reduce or stop.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”