Early settlement

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
17 posts Page 1 of 2

Donna29

Post by Donna29 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:28 pm
How much should be offered as an early settlement?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:35 pm
Hi. Do not use the term "settlement" --- that means pay the full debt and fees. What you are after is a "Full and Final Offer", which is based upon the number of payments left multiplied by the current monthly amount ( if there is equity to be addressed you might need to add in an extra 12 payments).

This will give you the base figure -- this can be rounded down slightly to allow for the savings in administration being made as well as the fact that they are getting their money early.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

admin

Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:54 pm
Received multiple questions from different pages
On behalf of Donna:

Hi,

I'm thinking of offering an early settlement figure for my IVA. I currently pay £155 per month and my IVA is due to end in May 2020. My creditors are expecting £4,917 if my IVA was to run for the full course and my circs stayed the same. Is an early settlement offer likely to be accepted? What would be considered a reasonable offer?

Would potential changes to my circumstances in the future have an impact on the decision - for example, my husband and I will be starting a family soon therefore this would have an impact on my monthly payments for the remainder of my IVA - would they consider themselves to be better off accepting a settlement figure now, than risk getting less than the current expected amount by the end of the IVA term?
Admin

Posting Guidelines:
Industry Experts
-Must have appropriate licenses
-Advice is transparent and clear
-No solicitation (web link in signature is ok)

Forum Experts
-Give advice based on personal experience
-Are impartial and transparent

Donna29

Post by Donna29 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:11 am
Thanks!

Where they ask - what is the reason for the offer at this time? - what sort of thing would they consider to be reasonable?

A family member is considering whether to make a full and final offer as a gift so that I can start to repair my credit score so that we can look to buy our own house in a few years time. We'll also be looking to start a family soon and this will likely mean that my IVA payments would not continue at the current amount- I'd personally rather get the IVA over with to move forward. Is this something they would consider?

The amount they are currently expecting for the remainder of my IVA is just under 5k.

Foggy wrote:
Hi. Do not use the term "settlement" --- that means pay the full debt and fees. What you are after is a "Full and Final Offer", which is based upon the number of payments left multiplied by the current monthly amount ( if there is equity to be addressed you might need to add in an extra 12 payments).

This will give you the base figure -- this can be rounded down slightly to allow for the savings in administration being made as well as the fact that they are getting their money early.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:20 am
Hi Donna. The strength of your reasons can dictate the amount you need to offer ( within reason). The wish to get on with your life and relieve the stresses an IVA is causing you is an acceptable reason and, if you are offering near the full amount of expected payments ( so the creditors are getting what they signed up for) the creditors would look at this seriously -- after all, they want out too !!

Coming out early will not improve your credit score to any great extent as the IVA will be on file for the full 6 years from the start, regardless and a mortgage while it is there would be problematical --- but, on the plus side, no IVA payments means you will be able to save more for deposits / furnishings etc.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Donna29

Post by Donna29 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:34 am
Ok great, thank you. I've been sent 'Early Settlement' paperwork from my IVA company - should I ask for 'Full and Final Offer' paperwork instead - would it be different?
Foggy wrote:
Hi Donna. The strength of your reasons can dictate the amount you need to offer ( within reason). The wish to get on with your life and relieve the stresses an IVA is causing you is an acceptable reason and, if you are offering near the full amount of expected payments ( so the creditors are getting what they signed up for) the creditors would look at this seriously -- after all, they want out too !!

Coming out early will not improve your credit score to any great extent as the IVA will be on file for the full 6 years from the start, regardless and a mortgage while it is there would be problematical --- but, on the plus side, no IVA payments means you will be able to save more for deposits / furnishings etc.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:36 am
Definitely full and final!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:40 am
Donna29 wrote:
Ok great, thank you. I've been sent 'Early Settlement' paperwork from my IVA company - should I ask for 'Full and Final Offer' paperwork instead - would it be different?
Foggy wrote:

They could know what you actually intend, but, for the avoidance of doubt, make sure they understand that you wish to make a Full and Final offer. A settlement is usually taken to mean repayment, in full, of the original debt and fees and often includes statutory interest, which will be a lot more than the payments due under the terms of the IVA.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:54 pm
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:23 pm
Hope you manage to get it sorted - keep us informed.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Donna29

Post by Donna29 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:30 pm
Hi, I'm still trying to figure out what a reasonable full and final offer would be. I've calculated that the amount expected for the remainder of the IVA is £4,470 (monthly repayments x months remaining). Would £3,500 be reasonable, or would you recommend going closer to £4,000?

Thanks

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:41 pm
By the time the offer is processed and put forward you will only be shaving just over a year off of the term, and paid a further £500 (ish) off, so an offer of £3,500 would be reasonable. If you offer £4,000 include a condition that the offer amount will reduce by the amount of payments you make in the interim. This is assumimg that the time remaining takes account of equity release ( or there isn't an equity provision because you rent).

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:42 pm
Hi,

Worth a shot - if they say it is too low you can always up the offer.
Bob Marley.

Donna29

Post by Donna29 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:16 pm
Hi everyone, just an update to say that my full and final offer was accepted, it's been paid so all done and dusted!

Just when I sent my paperwork, my IVA company switched everything over to Creditfix - this was in November and it had all been sorted with creditors by the end of January. Much quicker than I thought but Creditfix's communication with me has been terrible! I got no confirmation that my paperwork had been received, nothing to say that the meeting with creditors had been set, they didn't tell me that the offer had been accepted and I never received the paperwork they said they'd sent out - I only found out it was accepted when I phoned up to chase and I'm now waiting on closure paperwork which should be with me by next week.

Just thought I would share this just in case anyone else has had problems or is having problems with Creditfix!

Anyway, I'm so happy it's all been sorted - thank you so much for all your advice and help!!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:24 pm
Donna29 wrote:
Hi everyone, just an update to say that my full and final offer was accepted, it's been paid so all done and dusted!

Just when I sent my paperwork, my IVA company switched everything over to Creditfix - this was in November and it had all been sorted with creditors by the end of January. Much quicker than I thought but Creditfix's communication with me has been terrible! I got no confirmation that my paperwork had been received, nothing to say that the meeting with creditors had been set, they didn't tell me that the offer had been accepted and I never received the paperwork they said they'd sent out - I only found out it was accepted when I phoned up to chase and I'm now waiting on closure paperwork which should be with me by next week.

Just thought I would share this just in case anyone else has had problems or is having problems with Creditfix!

Anyway, I'm so happy it's all been sorted - thank you so much for all your advice and help!!
Congratulations Donna --- well done :-)

Yes, CF are notorious with communication -- it is amazing how one company can loose so much in the post as well !! :roll:
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”