HiI am currently in an IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
2 posts Page 1 of 1

JJ2007

Post by JJ2007 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:42 pm
Hi

I am currently in an IVA which comes to an end around August 2012. I am hoping to offer the creditors a lump sum to settle my IVA early next year and then thinking about shared ownership with Housing Options. To test the water, I recently enquired about one of their current developments only to be told that I may not be eligible as I have an IVA. They advised me to arrange an appointment with one of their mortgage advisors.
I understand that getting a mortgage would be difficult in an IVA, i.e having to pay 25% of the full value as deposit, so thought this would be a good way of getting on the housing ladder! Please could you advise whether I will have any opportunity to opt for shared ownership going forward?

Many thanks

Welsh Boy

Post by Welsh Boy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:08 pm
JJ2007

You would still need a deposit to fund your percentage of the purchase. If you take a property of let`s say a value of £100k and the housing association own 25% then you own the other 75% i.e. £75k.

If you then ask to borrow £75k you are in essence asking for a 100% mortgage, hope this makes sense, you can`t use the housing associations percentage as a deposit.Tony
F.P.C. 1,2,3 Qualified
Financial Planning Certificate
CeMap Qualified
Whole of Market Mortgage Broker
Managing Director : Debt Advisory Bureau
Debt Advisory 4U
Principal : All Mortgage Products

Directly Authorised with FSA :304244
2 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”