What should I do with this postcard?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
13 posts Page 1 of 1

missy80

Post by missy80 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:47 am
I received a postcard on Saturday from MBNA (that's what it says in tiny letters down the middle anyway)

I have important information I need to discuss with you. This card is notification I will be calling you week commencing Mondy 16 August 2010. If youi woauld rather contact me, please call me on the following mobile number 07774 ******. Yours sincerely, Alex

Has anyone else had one of these? Is it the debt collectors? What will they say to me if I call? Should I call? Please someone say something comforting!

Stresssssssssssssssssssss!

M80xx

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:52 am
I would ignore it. They will be wanting to try and get money out of you.

I used to get them from Halifax all the time.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:57 am
I would agree with Kallis to ignore it but if you want to have peace of mind you could call MBNA Customer Services on their main number and ask if they have a policy of sending out postcards to contact customers. The main number will be on the back of statements.

You may end up saving some other poor souls from getting hooked into something that is not legitimate.

Regards,
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

missy80

Post by missy80 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:59 am
Really? Okay, thanks. I thought it might mean they were about to send the heavies round.

It arrived Saturday and ruined my weekend! I had such a great Friday. Claire from Melanie's office has been doing my figures and found out I'm on the wrong tax code. I'll be about £100 a month better off - isn't that amazing? (I know people on here will understand what a big deal an extra £100 is!) I had been trying out my new budget to get used to it and it was pretty tough (A lot of beans on toast!) so this will make everything a bit easier.

Anyway, I probably should put this on a separate post rather than lose it in all my moaning! Big up Claire & JG! Really happy about that

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:04 am
They're all bad at making you think that someone is going to call round. It's to scare you into calling them.

I think it's odd that there is a mobile number on there though, wouldn't have thought the collection centres would use that.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:05 pm
Tell them that you are going to be speaking to your IP tomorrow with a view to finalising the IVA, and that the proposals will hopefully be posted out to them over the next few days.

Great news about the extra money. We call Claire the bloodhound in the office because she is very good at sniffing out extras!
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

missy80

Post by missy80 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:11 pm
I'm just so pleased about it - I'd previously asked my payroll dept and my estranged husband (an accountant!)to have a look and neither of them said it should change. And my previous IP have had all my payslips as well of course! I don't even mind the iva getting the lump sum I get back as if it wasn't for doing the iva I wouldn't know about it.

Thanks for all the advice re. postcard. I will try and calm down. I might call them after lunch when I've got my nerve up!

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:30 pm
Good news about the tax code and well done to Claire for finding that for you. All the best with the phone call, firm but polite and end the call is how I personally would deal with it. You're in good hands with Melanie and her team. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:40 pm
I got a letter off Halifax saying that one of their represntatives would be calling my home at such a time on such a day...It was obviously deliberatetly sent out to intimidate me and to make me think a debt collector would be coming to my house, however the wording was `Calling my home` not calling at my home. sure enough, they phoned my house at that time on said day, nobody came to the house.
Last edited by Goosed on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:49 pm
I had loads of those. They never even called though.
Bob Marley.

missy80

Post by missy80 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:57 pm
I hate how it's set out all matey - there's a personalised picture of a mobile screen on the front. Don't try and be nice whilst scaring the hell out of me!

I read it wrong at first too Goosed and almost fainted!

Have had lunch but still not got up guts to call. I'm beyond pathetic!

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:07 pm
missy80 wrote:

I hate how it's set out all matey - there's a personalised picture of a mobile screen on the front. Don't try and be nice whilst scaring the hell out of me!

I read it wrong at first too Goosed and almost fainted!

Have had lunch but still not got up guts to call. I'm beyond pathetic!
You`re not pathetic at all missy80, don`t ever have thoughts like that...You`re feeling just like I did, vulnerable, helpless and worried to death. As Kallis says, they are just trying to get a payment out of you. It seems some creditors are much more aggressive than others in their pursuit of us debtors. Stay strong.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:09 pm
You're not pathetic! If you don't want to call, then don't do it. I never called mine, they got consigned to the recycling.
Bob Marley.
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”