Please can someone advise me

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
28 posts Page 2 of 2

littlefi

Post by littlefi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:40 am
I'm just in the process of starting applying for IVA and it is very scary, I don't have children but my husband is disabled and can't work so money is tight. We got into this situation as we started a business just before the recession hit and have survived on credit cards since, in hindsight, pretty stupid, we were debt free only 3 1/2 year ago - apart from mortgage - and now at IVA stage.

I would say do it now, if you're like me you're living a miserable life of stress and worry right now so committing to 5 years of paying off debt means at least there is an end in sight even if it's 5 years away! Good luck!
"It is never too late to be what you might have been"
Fiona

ginger3232

Post by ginger3232 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:04 am
Hi Littlefi - i think most of us on here feel a "bit stupid" being in this situation - however you are facing up to the challenge of dealing with your debt (the hardest thing) the iVA is "not a walk in the park" - and 5 years seems a lifetime away. The IVA will offer security with no threat for debt collectors etc.
The applying for IVA process(for me) was the worse part - collection of information etc,creditors writing /phoning!! - with an appearance that "nothing was happening"

At the end of it you will come out stronger/wiser with a reluctance to take any more debt on!
Last edited by ginger3232 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

dixie002

Post by dixie002 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:24 am
Good luck Emma xx

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:29 am
Five years [or even six] is a long time and ask whatever companies you speak to about their IPs. Some firms have thousands of clients and few IPs and if you have problems these IPs never come out of their Ivory Towers.

One of the biggest complaints on this forum is the inability to speak to the IP and the layers of caseworkers who change with the tide. Make sure you go with a firm where the IPs will actually talk to you and ask them how many IPs they have in relation to the number of their clients.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Max

Post by Max » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:55 am
I am just looking in on behalf of my husband - he cannot use a computer because of his eyesight. Anyway what an excellent post from Michael - he is absolutely right. My husband is with Melanie Giles and I think he has contacted her once - she replied herself and almost by return. By the way, has Melanie given up posting on here I look in from time time and noticed she has gone! What a pity! Regards to Kallis and Skippy and, of course to you Michael. J

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:59 am
Communication is key, I'm with Mel too and have never had a communication problem. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:10 am
Good to see you back and all the best to you and Max and just to reassure about Melanie. I have been speaking to her and she is absolutely snowed under with a couple of major projects. Being the workaholic that she is she is fully committed and does not want to dip in and out of the forum with piecemeal advice but she will be back on soon.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:21 am
Hello Max and J - good to see you again and hope you are both well.

I've spoken to Mel as well this week so can confirm that she is really busy and will be back on soon.

It's not the same without her is it?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

D&G

Post by D&G » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:26 am
Hi Emma, i have just gone into an IVA and have gone with Melanie Giles, of Jones and Giles. I would highly recommend her and all her team. They are always a call or email away, and respond very quickly.
IVA Complete

susieq73

Post by susieq73 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:44 am
Hi - For anyone looking too - I opted for Cleardebt after reading the reviews etc on IVA.Com.
I've had no issues with them and always been able to contact them - everything was done very quickly for me and from start to finish it took approx 6 weeks but of course - I have no mortgage etc and am single so it would be different if you have other things on top of this.
I found the IVA.com website a great source of information along with this forum.
Susie
x

IVA Accepted 31st March 2011.
IVA Ends 31st March 2016.

Judo

Post by Judo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:53 am
Not knowing an awful lot when we applied, we were passed straight on to GT. I didn't even consider there more companies out there until I came across the IVA.com website. I must admit I did read a few slightly disturbing reviews about GT which did cause me to have a few wobbles but for me, up to now, I have no complaints..

Max

Post by Max » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:30 pm
Kallis (Jan) - thanks for asking about us - my husband has been seriously ill and I mean serious - hospialized and in ITU but I have him home which is all that matters to me - he is mending! Max and Henry are doung fine. My husband has said he has not forgotten the pact with regard to the Euro.!!! J

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:33 pm
I am so sorry to hear that he has been seriously ill but really pleased that he is on the mend. Give him my love and a big kiss to Max and Henry.

I haven't forgotten it either! You'll be the first to know if I hit the big one!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
28 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”