Budgeting is 2nd nature now!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1

littlefi

Post by littlefi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:41 pm
I have just done my spreadsheet that I let slip hideously over Christmas and although I knew I had enough to cover bills etc coming out at the beginning of Jan I thought it would be a little tight. In fact I had more money that I thought, yep I really did say that!

I admit I slightly overbudgeted on my spreadsheet for food & petrol over Christmas as went to the North east and wasn't quite sure what I would end up spending. Clearly though my budgeting ways are with me even over Christmas & when I'm not writing down every penny, I can't believe it whoo hoo! I did have another £5 lottery win, and Mum had a £92 lottery win so she treated us. She also paid for food but I insisted on paying for the booze as she couldn't even drink due to medication, we spent a full £50 on booze and it made me panic but actually was WELL within budget!

It is so amazing starting this year, in credit, not using credit cards, and no horrible bills to face. Last year I started not knowing how I was going to pay the mortgage or in fact any bills at all.

Thank you IVA, you've saved my financial life and taught me a thing or too already!
"It is never too late to be what you might have been"
Fiona

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:12 pm
Glad it's still going well fi. I have struggled for the last month. Just want to spend! I haven't, but I could easily have slipped back into old habits.

I know it's my depression and have spoken to my GP and got some advice. This week I have kicked myself into touch and am over the blip! I suppose it's a good thing that I'm over it without spending but it's scary when you get the urge to spend!!
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

kat68

Post by kat68 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:02 pm
hiya gald all is going well, i feel much the same, was very careful not to over spend at xmas, and have enough left to see me through till nest pay day, may even be able to save a little.
this year is going to be a tough one, even though my parents have offered me some money to make a full and final offer for which i am so grateful and intend to pay them back in full if its accepted. i am also having surgery and will be on half pay for at least 3 months possibly more, and ive done the sums and half pay wont even cover my basic bills let alone groceries etc.
so until i go into hospital for my surgery i intend to really scrimp and scrape, and try to save as much as possible to supplement my half pay when the time comes.
kat

IVA accepted 6th May 2011, Full and Final accepted 17th April 2012.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:24 pm
How is your Mum now Littlefi? On the mend I hope?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

molly16

Post by molly16 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:25 am
hi all , im careful too budgeting weekly . even now iva finished , i think about buying something then wonder how i can justify it at my annual review !!! havent noticed not being in iva yet as dec was first month out of it and we had good xmas. this month i have a big car bill, its gone in today to be sorted £600 , we thought it would be double that so thats a bonus! my mechanic is great cos i pay him at end of month when im paid , so thats januarys iva payment !! hoping tht from feb we can start putting away that £539 payment, so when things go wrong we have money to sort it . i never want to go back to the dark debt place again. fortunately hubby paid weekly , so thats our gas and elec ( meters) food and petrol. leaves a little bit to put away £20-£30 but look after the pennies !!!! my wages pay household bills and mortgage, but after this month there should be around £600 spare to put away for a rainy day or two !!!! long may the budgeting continue

RRones

Post by RRones » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:35 pm
I thought i was the only one that use a spreadsheet and the other half laughs at me sometimes. Its works and a few times we still had money left over at the end of each month. She wasn't laughing then lol

No better feeling then starting the new year with no bills :)

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:47 pm
I've never got on with spreadsheets at all - I just check online banking regularly so I know what is left to come off and how much is left for me.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:23 pm
I have an A4 notepad with the income and expenditure for the month,silly thing is I also had this system before the trust deed,I just used to supplement our income with cards.

NOT ANY MORE!!!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

littlefi

Post by littlefi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:24 pm
Thanks for asking Mel, she is getting there, she's not quite out and about yet but managing in the house ok now which is a relief!

Gosh I couldn't do without my spreadsheet as I calculate ahead, but then I don't get paid a regular monthly wage as such as a self employed freelancer so I always like to make sure if someone is late paying me I can still pay the mortgage!

No Paul me either, I can't now imagine using credit cards, even just 7 months into my IVA, after all it's not even our money, seems ludicrous now, mind you my lifestyle has changed considerably, I have a champagne mind and a soda water income!!
"It is never too late to be what you might have been"
Fiona
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”