Not sure?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

johnd

Post by johnd » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:37 pm
Hi.

This may sound like an odd question but after posting my application pack for an IVA and cancelling direct debits / transferring to a new co-op account etc.

Should I draw out my maximum amount to my overdraft limit to give me some emergency funds?

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:44 pm
Hi, I probably wouldn't do that as you will stop paying your creditors and be able to build up a contingency fund that way, once you acknowledge you're insolvent you should take no further credit. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:45 pm
Hi,

Do you mean from your old account or the new one? If it is the new one then you should not have an overdraft.

Otherwise, remove all money from your old account and pay this across to the new account so that you can pay your bills.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:48 pm
Sorry if I'm wrong I read it shall I take the overdrat to the limit before transferring to Coop, I may well be wrong. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:56 pm
I only meant that any money due to pay normal debts should be moved across to the new account. Other than that the old account should be ignored.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

hth

Post by hth » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:12 pm
Hi John,

Lesley is correct in that if you have acknowledged the fact that you are insolvent you should cease to use credit. However, it's possible that you have only been surviving by using the overdraft facility, in which case you may need to use some of that money to get you through to payday without missing essential payments, just call the company you are dealing with tomorrow and ask them for guidance, they may have included your overdraft at it's maximum when consulting with you.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:36 pm
You should always make sure that your priority payments are made. Anything to your creditors takes second place whilst applying for an IVA.
Bob Marley.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”