The beginning of an iva journey

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
15 posts Page 1 of 1

newboy

Post by newboy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:03 am
Hello everyone,

After weeks of dipping in and out of this wonderful website, being inspired by all the experts ie IPs and their Member Staffs and forum members, I want to say I have now kicked off the proccess for an iva. I have signed all the papperworks and returned to my IP Firm. So I am nervous waiting on to hear the next step and what comes out of it.
I had years of fear, stress, and even lonelines all down to debt and struggling to live a life. I am hoping if all goes well I will get myself back and live again.
This forum is GREAT and you guys advising people are AMAZING. Some of the stories and advised inpired me to look into it and making the final decision.
So I hope you continue the good work you are doing on this site, people like me were at lost and since reading stories here my head beggining to settle down.

DEBTS! DEBTS! DEBTS! I have learnt my lessons BIG TIME.

So wish you all every success in your journeys and to the wonderful IPs assisting on this site, please note your hard work is always being noticed so many thanks.

I am now waiting on my IP firm and fingers cross all goes well for me as well.

May God Bless you all.

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:23 pm
Great post newboy - glad you're getting things sorted.

Have you opened a new bank account yet? If not, then I suggest you so do.

Which company are you using?

oscar

Post by oscar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:39 pm
Nice one Newboy you have done the right thing. Great point about the bank account do this straight away. Most of all, try and keep calm!

If you are awaiting IVA approval please read the beginning articles of my blog it might just help you to realise that I felt similar feelings at that time and it will get better

Think things through logically, sleep on it but do not panic

Speak with your Insolvency Practitioner (IP) if you need to

Remember that an IP will not propose and IVA if they are not almost certain that it will be approved or it would be a waste of their time

Always put or confirm things in writing e.g. on email maybe, keep all paperwork for the duration of the IVA, including names, dates times what was said etc. If unsure ask your IP to explain again and confirm on e.g. e-mail.

Be assertive and honest with your IP

Whilst in your IVA, always send in your payslips each month. If your income changes liaise closely with your IP to ensure your payments are correct. Don’t forget though, expenditure can also change so weigh up any extra income and also mention any bills that have increased, even a few small amounts can add up in your favour.

Always keep your petrol receipts then you can track if this is rising, as this is usually a major expense.

Try and build a relationship with your IP and get to know people’s names (always make a note of conversations with date time name etc.)

Don’t bottle things up, sound off on the forum confidentially you do not have to give your own name etc; others have probably been through this or something similar before

Be kind to yourself, you are human and deserve a break, eat properly and get a good night’s sleep, give yourself some time out wherever possible and get regular exercise which can seriously help combat stress and anxiety

You have a plan and can become debt free because I did so you can.

best wishes

Oscar
http://rollercoaster.blogs.iva.co.uk/

need to smile today? go on check out my blogs - I'll add to them regularly
Our IVA's over YIPPEE unbelievable!Seems like yesterday it was approved despite everything

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:49 pm
Oscar,

It depends upon who your IP is as to how often you send your payslips in - mine is every three months.

I've never kept fuel receipts at all and never been asked for them. I've never had to send receipts or proof of anything.

It does all depend upon who the IP is.

newboy - keep us posted as to how you are getting on.

orchid5

Post by orchid5 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:10 pm
Hi and welcome Newboy you have an advantage over me here as i didn't find this forum until i'd been im IVA for over a year but like yourself have found it to be full of advice, support and such a learning tool too, good luck with your pending IVA, time will go very fast and soon you will be debt free, best wishes. xx
Om shanti, namesté, good luck to all who are embarking on the IVA journey, it isn't always an easy one but the outcome is the best.

IVA COMPLETED August 2012, received Completion certificate 18.4.13.

lem

Post by lem » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:23 pm
Welcome from me aswell, so glad you have found us and had the courage to post, I hope your IVA process runs smoothly for you and if there is anything you want to ask or need support with, ask away

oscar

Post by oscar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:37 pm
hi Niobe,

It does depend on who your IP is I know, but we were asked to send all info in monthly or as it happened then everything was up to date. We also always thought that it was better to keep and send in everything sooner rather than later and preferred to do too much. We felt that if we helped our IVA company by giving them more info rather than less, their job would be easier. We think that in our case by doing this it helped communications and built a good relationship with named people who rang us more than once to say thank you for helping them and making their job easier. With the help and support of our IVA company we saw an end to all our debt.

We were asked to provide receipts for eveything that had increased by over ten pounds, and believe that petrol being a major expense to most people that it is just a good practice to keep all your receipts and help your IVA to run smoothly, just in case they are asked for and then you may save yourself hassle and worry at a later date.

Also, if you wait 3 months to send payslips in and have had e.g. overtime, you might end up in a situation where you owe a backlog of money into the IVA and you and your IP may not agree on how much extra you should pay. Although this will be in your IVA proposal it also seems logical to me that you show the payslips over asap to avoid any unnecessary snags later on.

Yes please keep posting Newboy and hang in there, you can do it and I look forward to hearing that your IVA has been approved so you can move forward some more.

Oscar
[:)]
Oscar
Last edited by oscar on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://rollercoaster.blogs.iva.co.uk/

need to smile today? go on check out my blogs - I'll add to them regularly
Our IVA's over YIPPEE unbelievable!Seems like yesterday it was approved despite everything

lem

Post by lem » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:41 pm
Our fuel costs increased by about £50 a month this year compared to last due to the increase in fuel prices and me increasing my hours at work so I had to send in receipts to support this so we could have our allowance increased

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:45 pm
Be guided by your IP newboy as to what is required as they're all different.

Do keep posting so we can support you along the way.

Coffee Break

Post by Coffee Break » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:00 pm
Good luck from me too. I was going through the initial steps only a few weeks ago, and had my IVA approved only just last Friday. Yes, this forum is a very helpful, friendly place to be part of, with useful advice from the experienced IVAers and experts alike made my progress a lot easier to deal with!

Let us know how you get on.
http://creditcruncher12.blogs.iva.co.uk/

The little money I have - that is my wealth, but the things I have for which I would not take money, that is my treasure.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention.

lem

Post by lem » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:14 pm
Coffee Break, I'm loving your blog by the way, it could have been written by me, the way you got into debt, your ages/life etc we were in the exact same situation managing to pay everything but realising we were never going to pay everything off, I know you are only at the start of your journey but honestly even though we are now 17 months in if I blink it was like yesterday that we had our creditors meeting, you are with a great IP (same as mine) and you will adjust to life in an IVA as we have, its a great feeling going shopping with your own money and not having a huge bill land on your doormat at the end of the month, it takes a little getting used to sometimes when you have to say to yourself 'I can't have that now, I'll have to wait until I'm paid again' but you learn to go with it and not regret making those frivolous purchases.

Good luck to you and to anyone starting their journey

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:54 pm
I'm glad the forum has been helpful to you, that is the aim. Do keep posting and asking any questions or maybe your experience will help others who are reading in. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

newboy

Post by newboy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 pm
Thank you to all of you. You are all so inspirational and very supportive. I hope to be in the stages you currently are with your IVAs, up and running nicely.
This site is very helpful and friendly, I have learnt a lot from here.

Once again many thanks and will definately keep you all posted of progress of my iva.

Coffee Break

Post by Coffee Break » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:49 pm
lem - thanks for the comments re. My blog, it's good to know that we're not going through this alone and that you and others can relate. It's reassuring to read that it's been going quite quickly for you already, which is a positive sign - it is going to be tough at times I know throughout my journey, but I'm thankful that we are given these chances to put our frivolous 'mistakes' to right and be debt free in the future, and so reassessing my lifestyle is one lesson I'm happy to learn through an IVA.
http://creditcruncher12.blogs.iva.co.uk/

The little money I have - that is my wealth, but the things I have for which I would not take money, that is my treasure.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:43 pm
The very best of luck from me with the process as well. Glad to see that you have found the forum of use in your journey to getting your debts back under control.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”