HP and an IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
13 posts Page 1 of 1

gillhe

Post by gillhe » Mon May 06, 2013 5:04 pm
Hi has anyone had recent experience of RCI's policy if you enter into an iva? I cant find any posts since 2009. We have a car finance with HP through RCI with 1 year down and 4 to go. I'm stressing to see if they will take the car if we enter into an IVA although the payments are allowed for in the expenditure. I'm afraid to phone them in case I draw attention to myself although I know they'll have to find out

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Mon May 06, 2013 6:48 pm
Hi! I don't have experience of this but would be tempted to leave well alone as you said. It has been a year after all and they haven't done anything. Congrats on your first year x

gillhe

Post by gillhe » Mon May 06, 2013 6:55 pm
No sorry you've misunderstood. We are about to enter into an IVA but have had our HP with RCI with 4 years to go. It says in our agreement that they have the right to terminate the agreement and no one seems to know if they will or not. Part of me is desperate to know so we can plan ahead but the other thinks I shouldnt contact them. I read a 2009 post from someone who got a letter saying they would take the car but they were eventually allowed to keep on making the payments. I just cant find anything recent and this is all so scary

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon May 06, 2013 9:29 pm
Hi and welcome sorry no experience of this myself but hopefully another poster will have so will bump this up for you.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

gillhe

Post by gillhe » Tue May 07, 2013 8:41 pm
has anyone recently had their HP car repossessed through doing an IVA? we are with RCI as I said but would be interested to know how often this happens even with other companies. Trying to prepare myself

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue May 07, 2013 10:32 pm
Not all HP firms terminate the agreement so ring ona 'no names' basis and ask RCI. Alternatively your IP firm will check before drafting the proposal.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

ClareSilver

Post by ClareSilver » Thu May 09, 2013 3:56 pm
Has an allowance been built into your income and expenditure for you to continue paying the HP payments?

slapnuts2001

Post by slapnuts2001 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:47 pm
Hi I'm in an IVA and my car is on HP, It's ok to keep your car, I just rang once the IVA was set up explained the situation, and the person I spoke to was great and IVA company didn't say I couldn't keep my car, I need it to get to work, hope you get the same response I did, and good luck with the IVA, we are just coming into our 4th year 12 months to go xxx

gillhe

Post by gillhe » Thu May 09, 2013 6:56 pm
Hi Yes the IVA co are saying its fine and will allow for the HP payment in our expenditure. The advisor I spoke to just put the fear into me when she said to check our agreement as they have a right to terminate the agreement if we enter into an arrangement with creditors and right enough it is there. I'm going to have to pluck up the courage to phone and ask their policy as the advisor has said she has seen cars be repossessed although has not any experience with RCI. I found a post on this forum from 2009 where someone did get a letter from them saying they were lifting the car but their Hp was only 2 months old whereas ours is just over a year. I'm finding this all so stressful at the minute I think its the fear of the unknown and I know we need to do it but I live and breathe IVAs and spend all my free time trawling this forum- its really not healthy

gillhe

Post by gillhe » Mon May 13, 2013 7:31 pm
Still havent plucked up the courage to phone and see if our HP company will let us keep the car. Just bumping this up in case any new posters to the forum have experience of RCI's policy on this. I really need to know but I just cant bring myself to phone.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue May 14, 2013 8:09 pm
My own experience tells me that more and more HP companies are seeking to terminate IVA agreements upon the entering into of an IVA, regardless of whether proper provision is made for the ongoing IVA payments, but this does not necessarily mean that they can actually grab the cars.

I am addressing this issue with the Finance and Leasing Association, in an attempt to understand why these companies would rather have a stock of second hand cars on their hands rather than regular ongoing payments which have been prioritised in the IVA proposals.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Joshwah

Post by Joshwah » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:06 pm
Hi, finding myself in a very similar situation with having a year paid on HP and 4 left, and entering into a IVA, please could you let me know how it went for you? It would be appriciated.
Thankyou

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:23 pm
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:06 pmJoshwah wrote:
Hi, finding myself in a very similar situation with having a year paid on HP and 4 left, and entering into a IVA, please could you let me know how it went for you? It would be appriciated.
Thankyou
Joshwah -- this thread is 8 years old. I suggest you start your own thread from scratch.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”