Nationwide credit card post IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

Wild Rose

Post by Wild Rose » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:55 am
Just thought this might be useful for someone

I opened 2 Nationwide current accounts prior to my F&F IVA and have used these for my wages and direct debits etc for the last couple of months. On applying I declined the offer of an overdraft and a credit card. I've just been on the phone to their customer services department about something unrelated and he suggested I have a credit card. I explained I'm in the process of doing my F&F IVA and therefore it wouldn't be appropriate. He said that as long as IVAs (or CCJs) are on the credit report as completed then they will consider providing a credit card so suggested I call back then.

I'm still undecided as to whether I want the burden of a credit card but it's certainly useful to know.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:01 am
I think a lot of people talk positively about the Nationwide and have gone on to have a credit card with them. Thank you for your post though as I'm sure it will be of help to some. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

nonewdebt

Post by nonewdebt » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:43 pm
you need a credit card to build credit even if you do not need to borrow on credit.I am sure many lenders would operate the same but useful information.

12 months to go

Post by 12 months to go » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:02 pm
hi wild rose

i think you are better to wait for the IVA to drop off your credit file before applying. Im pretty sure if it still shows but marked as completed , this will be flagged up you have been in an IVA and therefore you will be rejected.

Note the helpful call handler who has no influence over nationwide policy said they would " consider " you for a card.

i got my Nationwide credit card 4 months after my iva dropped off my credit file , so perhaps wait a little while longer , keep checking your credit report for the IVA to drop off once your completion certificate has been recieved and im sure you will be accepted.

good luck and dont rush into it, as any rejection will also show on your credit file
Last payment made April 2012
Certificate received 1st Nov 2012

Wild Rose

Post by Wild Rose » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:15 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by 12 months to go

hi wild rose

i think you are better to wait for the IVA to drop off your credit file before applying. Im pretty sure if it still shows but marked as completed , this will be flagged up you have been in an IVA and therefore you will be rejected.

Note the helpful call handler who has no influence over nationwide policy said they would " consider " you for a card.

i got my Nationwide credit card 4 months after my iva dropped off my credit file , so perhaps wait a little while longer , keep checking your credit report for the IVA to drop off once your completion certificate has been recieved and im sure you will be accepted.

good luck and dont rush into it, as any rejection will also show on your credit file
You're probably right. I wonder whether anyone has actually got a Nationwide credit card before the IVA has dropped off their file?

Because I've done a F&F IVA I've got another 6 years to wait before it'll drop of my file. To be honest I'm not convinced I even want a credit card anyway, I'm far happier building up some savings and using them in an emergency instead (something I've never been able to do before!).

I'm moving house in 2 days and when I tried to book a van to hire I couldn't unless I had a credit card to give them. It's times like that that are annoying!

12 months to go

Post by 12 months to go » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:33 pm
sorry wild rose , i didnt realise you had 6yrs to go

i could be wrong , but i think you may struggle until it drops off in 6 years time eg my credit score changed from 240 to 980 the month after the iva dropped off my file

im sure one of the experts will be able to better confirm what likley situation will arise

best wishes
Last payment made April 2012
Certificate received 1st Nov 2012

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:51 pm
I would guess you can get a Vanquis or Aqua card (?) if a card is needed, however, the interest rate being high although not ideal is irrelevant if paying the balance off in full. However, like you say if you don't need one there's no point.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”