I am more in debt than when I started. How do I start afresh with everything ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

Wendy.29

Post by Wendy.29 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:22 pm
im currently in an iva...my review is due but for the last 9months I have had to pay arrers on mortgage but its made me miss council tax payments...im now in more debt than I started how do i explain the larger payments to IVA (how do i start afresh with everything....?/??

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:28 pm
Hi Wendy - welcome to the forum. You need to speak to your IP as a matter of urgency as this is not working for you and IVAs should not leave anyone struggling and missing important payments of any kind, especially mortgage and council tax. Who are you with as they may have a representative on here?

To answer your questions, you should not need to start afresh with anything but to work with your IP to get your current IVA back on track taking into account what arrears you have to address.

Let us know how you get on.
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

Wendy.29

Post by Wendy.29 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:12 pm
Hi thanks for the reply our IVA is with StepChange...we keep having problems with the car needing repairs..we had one month off but im scarifing tghe housebill to pay this..no car no way of getting to work meaning no money..its a terrible cycle...I woukd love them to sit down and help but noone seems to answer my problems with an answer...

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:23 am
Do you have a monthly allowance for car maintenance and repairs? This is essential, but you do need to set aside the money each month so that when you have a repair bill you have the funds to deal with it.

It sounds to me as if your budget needs a complete rework. StepChange are a registered charity, and so I am sure that you can get someone to spend the time needed to go through this with you. If not, let us know as I know the IP there quite well and will happily have a word for you.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Fletch2204

Post by Fletch2204 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:07 am
Nice one Mel!!
I'm Walking On Sunshine, Yeah-Yeah...........

Katrina And The Waves

Wendy.29

Post by Wendy.29 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:28 pm
Sorry i'm not perfect this is my first year...so confused as for saving 15 a month for car servicing it isn't enough to pay for over £500 worth of repairs which was needed due to being hit by a lorry...! Excess on insurance was £300 plus had to pay the tow company...! I'm hoping to be in touch with our dealer at Stepchange tomorrow... a bit of advice was needed not cristism... thanks...

Rubyred

Post by Rubyred » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:11 pm
Hi Wendy,
Mel is the last person to criticise and has offered to speak to her contact at step change if you didn't get any joy, the advice Mel gave is correct but unfortunately doesn't cover the unforeseen large bills that can hit all of us. I hope that you get this sorted with your IP, I'm sure that you can take up to 3 payment breaks in exceptional circumstances. Good luck for tomorrow
Having dreams doesn't cost a penny and keeps you going
Iva completed 14 months early!

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:12 pm
I was actually offering you advice Wendy, and not criticism.

£15 per month is a very low allowance for car maintenance - and even StepChange's own guidelines allow £30 per month. If your average costs are £500 per year, this works out at £42 per month, so why was the budget figure set and agreed at £15?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”