IVA terminated after variation refused. Should we enter into a new IVA ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
26 posts Page 2 of 2

Emma2772

Post by Emma2772 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:18 pm
Thank you Lesley, seems a debt relief order is no good for us [:(] thank you anyway.
Tzekin believe me GT had no intention of keeping us happy this side they were all about the creditors, spoke in complete jargon the whole way through, i never understood anything about the iva as they weren't interested in informing us seems they didn't do a hell of a lot for their 8k.
The new company seem to be more helpful just hope they are honest, seems we don't trust anyone anymore. All we want to do is pay back our debt, seems that's not made easy tho. Still can't find the 2 outstanding accounts that had money distributed to them. Checked experian and noddle and no sign of them, surely the new iva company will find them?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:43 pm
I'm getting a lot of enquiries from people who have had their IVA's failed and they are wanting to respresent. Such a shame that their new proposals could not have been incorporated into a variation of the original IVA.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Emma2772

Post by Emma2772 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:08 pm
Hi Melanie

I rang the new iva provider today and they are saying the new proposal is being drafted and will be ready to come out to me by the end of the week.
The said last week on the phone that they were getting my payment down to about £200 per month which for me will be amazing, a lot less than the £550 per month we were paying before! I mean we will pay another 12k so a total of 30k over the 2 Ivas when our debt was only 23,942 originally but you live and learn I suppose!
Just a couple of questions for you will the new iva company find the debts that I can't find that GT paid out on and also do you know if Berry Cooper are something to do with Blair endersby? Reason being berry cooper rang me tonight and I missed the call not knowing what the number was and I typed their number in google and it came up Blair endersby?!? If they are I need to ask them what's going on as Blair endersby were who we originally went with when GT took over after 18 months!
Many thanks for any info

Emma2772

Post by Emma2772 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:01 am
Hi everyone

Just wondered if you could offer any answers to the following question.
My new iva company berry cooper rang me Friday and said the new proposal was being drafted and they needed me to answer a few questions as I was at work they agreed to call me Monday one of the questions being do I want the iva to be joint? After thinking about it after the last iva being joint I thought we would just go ahead with another joint one but then I realised that my outstanding debt is only £1400?! Wouldnt it make sense for iva to just be out forward in my husbands name? And if we do that will they just do it on my husbands income or still mine as well? Also if they do it on mine as well will thy put an allowance in for my debts to be paid out of it? Thanks in advance x

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:34 pm
The income and expenditure should show each person's surplus income and you then decide on the best way forward. If your debts are only £1400 and you have an income I would doubt if you should be in an IVA at all. However make sure you are not joint on any debts as this would make a difference.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Emma2772

Post by Emma2772 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:25 pm
Hi Michael thanks for reply however if you read posts from beginning you will see our debt, I meant mine is only £1400, total debt is around £15000 (left from last iva when it failed after paying 44p in £)

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:18 pm
If that is the case then I still think an IVA may not be right for you. Your surplus income would probably clear the £1400 in a quicker time than 5 years so perhaps debt management for you and an IVA for your other half would be the best advice.
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Emma2772

Post by Emma2772 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:31 pm
Hiya yeah I'm def not planning to go into any sort of plan with £1400 il just clear that with my wage but my question is basically with they want to take my income into consideration for my husbands iva or will they just do it on his? Thank you

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 am
Any I&E should show that you both pay your fair share of the bills. Your surplus income would be yours to keep and use to clear the £1400 or whatever you wish to do with the money. Only his surplus should be used to fund his IVA and if the IP tries to take yours go to another firm.

Some companies and bank funded charities try and take all the surplus even when there is a single IVA to maximise the contributions and thus their fees. Try and avoid this trap.

Emma2772

Post by Emma2772 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:45 am
Ah that's great thank you Michael!

lou3

Post by lou3 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:55 pm
They can do it one of two ways, either they can take the whole household income into account and all the household expenses OR they can take only your husband's income into account but this means they will be unable to make any allowances for your expenditure at all and all the essential bills will have to be split 50-50. It will depend on how much you each earn and what your expenses are as to which works out best for you in terms of surplus remaining.
26 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”