DFD PPI Tax refund?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Til

Post by Til » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:04 pm
Hi all

Does anyone on here know if DFD have ever refunded the interest portion of a successful PPI claim?

Or if there has been any judgements on if the interest portion should be refunded to the debtor?

Thanks
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:09 pm
There have been no judgements. Some firms refund, others do not, whilst a few refund to some clients and not to others ( as a "reward" for signing assignments). It ius all a bit hit and miss.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:13 pm
By definition interest is income.

It is whether it impacts on your tax liability that is important.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:28 pm
I cannot speak for DFD but I do agree with both Foggy and Lifenoteasy. The interest on the repayment is taxable and needs to be included in any return to HMRC. Most times now it is not a problem as the bank will deduct it and pay it over or the I.P. will do so. Previously we rebated a percentage of the interest to our clients so they would have the money but not any more.

Some firms apparently rebate the interest but I have no idea why.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Til

Post by Til » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:43 pm
Thanks so much for the feedback.

Barclays have finally agreed to pay out on an old PPI policy that they initially refused.

It was a small policy but done over a long time from around 1998! So whilst the PPI payment isn't huge the interest is almost as big in itself and would make a huge difference to us right now.

Barclays have already deducted tax so that's ok.

Ironically Barclays was the worst creditor for laying on huge charges when we started to struggle all those years back too so I'm glad they paid out in the end. I do hold Barclays above all others slightly more responsible for our debt issues as at one stage they were piling on up to £90 a day in overdraft and refused DD charges - of course it was ultimately our own mess but we stood no chance against that.

Time will tell on the interest...
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”