Final Year and loan question

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

annierose

Post by annierose » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:08 pm
Hello,

I will be coming up to the final year soon and as I now have equity in property my understanding was that we would try and remortgage (almost 100% sure this will not be possible as aside from IVA we already have a third charge on property in the form of a housing association in which they always retain a percentage of the value) and then pay 12 extra months.
But now I am concerned Credit fix will try and force us to take out a loan instead of the 12 months payments. Due to the above I am sure a secured loan would not be possible but we had some info sent to us about an unsecured loan to pay off IVA early. Read through the info and not worth it for me as hopefully only 2 years left but could they force us to take out an unsecured loan instead of 12 months extra payments?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:51 am
If your agreement says "remortgage or extend" those are the two options they can insist upon. A secured loan is NOT the same animal as a remortgage and cannot be forced upon you. Some new agreements do have a secured loan option added, since 2014.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Ant3101

Post by Ant3101 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:29 am
Mine has remortgage, extension or 3rd party sum so assuming that could mean secured loan.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:46 am
I would imagine that it does Ant although some of the companies do unsecured loans as well to finish off the IVA early.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:30 am
Some firms have tried to interpret the 3rd party sum as meaning a secured loan, Ant. I know some have been challenged on this and have backed down.

If it HAD meant that a secured loan was included in the definition the IVA Forum would not have seen it necessary to introduce secured loans into the clause in 2014, as it would have already been covered.

Unfortunately this is a thin arguement, as they could have been merely trying to clarify the original intention, but, in the interests of fairness, the more enlightened IP's are taking the doubt as sufficient reason to err in favour of the debtor.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

annierose

Post by annierose » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:36 pm
Thanks for the replies. I checked the agreement and it does say remortgage/third party sum or extension.

recovering

Post by recovering » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:41 pm
annierose where you transferred to CF? If you were PJG originally it was Not A secured loan
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”