Wage arressment. I am confused, does anyone offer any advice ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

ian724

Post by ian724 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:56 pm
I have been in an iva for 3 years and have just found out that my local council has been deducting money from my benefits for something that was included in the iva. I have contacted my iva supervisor whi has said he has issued a wage arressment. I am confused by this. Anyone offer any advice ?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:39 pm
In some circumstances benefits overpayments aren't covered by an IVA -- hopefully an Industry Expert will be able to comment further on this tomorrow. I have no idea what your IP is trying to do --- you don't want monies taken direct from wages as well !!
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:19 am
Benefit overpayments are a complicated area. It depends on which benefits, why the overpayment arose, whether you are still in receipt of benefits and which type of insolvency so your own IP should be the first port of call.

However if there has been a deduction from your benefits it is possible the net figure was used for your income calculation otherwise you would have struggled with the payments to the IVA. If this is the case the debt will at least be coming down and you may not be any worse off. If this is a recent event you may need to have your payments reduced unless your IP can prove it is covered by the IVA.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”