Moving in with partner

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
13 posts Page 1 of 1

lindyduds

Post by lindyduds » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:05 am
Hi,I posted on here a while ago in relation to moving in with my partner and him not wanting to disclose his income.Well i now have more worries on my mind that are getting worse as time draws nearer.My first worry is when i contact my iva company (payplan) are they going to want to know everything in relation to mine and partners income when i move in even though i will say partner doesnt want his disclosed?.Second worry is at the moment i get tax credits but this will change when i move in but will payplan expect me to pay more even though my income will decrease a lot but i will be making my contributions to the household bills,how will i be expected to make same amount to payplan if i dont have the money?.Im worried they will want more money and i just wont have it.Im struggling to make payments as it is because my son left home last year and my tax credits were slashed then but there was no difference made to the amounts i paid even though i had less money.All i will have when moving in is my small wages from my jobs and child benefit.Please please advise as this is making me really worried and ill.Thankyou.
on the long walk to freedom!!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:26 am
Hi. I am afraid that Payplan have a unique view regarding a solvent spouse's income and like to use combined household income in their calculations. I would anticipate, at the least they will want more from you as your household expenses will now be halved, but they will have to make allowance for the fact that tax credits, therefore your income, will be reduced.They will also have to review your allowances as they will need to be increased accordingly.

Most firms would accept the fact that the new partner wants their details kept private and assume a 50 / 50 split of expenses --- but I cannot say with any certainty how Payplan will react.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

lindyduds

Post by lindyduds » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:16 pm
Oh dear i really am worried now.Partner doesnt want his income disclosed at all.What on earth do i do.This is making me ill in worry.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:25 pm
lindyduds wrote:
Oh dear i really am worried now.Partner doesnt want his income disclosed at all.What on earth do i do.This is making me ill in worry.
At the end of the day they cannot force him to divulge his details and they cannot penalise you for something beyond your control.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

lindyduds

Post by lindyduds » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:32 pm
Really dreading the call to them :(

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:14 am
Notify Payplan of your new address as this is a requirement. However you should work out how much you can afford to pay and reach an agreement with your partner as to how much you should contribute to the household costs. You could then pay a set amount of rent each month and pay what you afford to the IVA. Your partner cannot be made to disclose his earnings so this should be quite simple.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

lindyduds

Post by lindyduds » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:48 pm
Ok thankyou,from what i can gather payplan (was originally with price sterling but they ceased doing IVAs so they transferred me over so wasnt my choice) dont seem to be overly sympathetic and dont seem to be a good company to be with.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:35 pm
lindyduds wrote:
Ok thankyou,from what i can gather payplan (was originally with price sterling but they ceased doing IVAs so they transferred me over so wasnt my choice) dont seem to be overly sympathetic and dont seem to be a good company to be with.
They have thousands of happy clients .... thousands being the operative word ( only 1 IP) and tend to do things their own way ( and slowly). I wouldn't say they are not good, by any means. Just not my cup of tea :-)

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:14 pm
You could always say you are moving in as a lodger and he is charging you rent.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

lindyduds

Post by lindyduds » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:21 am
Ok would that be a better idea then to say im a lodger? And ive only heard negative stuff about them Foggy unfortunately.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:21 am
lindyduds wrote:
Ok would that be a better idea then to say im a lodger? And ive only heard negative stuff about them Foggy unfortunately.

Being, to all intents and purposes, a lodger is far easier to deal with and "cleaner" from the IVA point of view.

Lindy .... don't get me wrong .. I am certainly not a fan. But one man's meat and all that :-)

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:39 am
Paying a monthly amount would make it much simpler. Doing a 'joint' I&E could show you contributing to his mortgage payments for example and then some IPs may try and extend the IVA on the basis of your 'interest'. Paying a rent is easy or agree a figure to pay towards the food and other bills.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

lindyduds

Post by lindyduds » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:40 pm
Ok thankyou very much everyone,i am contacting payplan on Mon (moving day) so will let you know then the outcome when i get it :)
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”