Work issues even before submitting IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
29 posts Page 1 of 2

Johng79

Post by Johng79 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:43 am
Hi guys. Im a civil servant and contacted my personnel to ask some questions before taking IVA, as my contract says i must advise them if insolvent. They advised me that if i do go for iva, i should provide them summary of how debt was accrued. What??! Another issue is if they ask for ip info, which i assume they would try to contact. Gambling & personal issues in my past arent really what i want work to know about. Really unsure why they need the info other than sheer nosiness. Im an office worker, not chancellor of exchequer after all. Its stressful and stigmatising enough getting into situation of needing debt help, without finding a way out to have your employer sticking their beak in when you are just trying to be open about it. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:49 am
I was and still am a civil servant abd when going through our iva I informed my direct line manager. I ensured they understood the different between bankruptcy and iva as there were different rules. I was not required to prove why it had come to that - although my manager knew as I had opened up to her previously.

I was allowed to continue in my role as long as I had no involvement with the finance department - It made me feel like a criminal too but at the end of the day I had bigger issues to deal with so just got on with things and paid my iva each month.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:29 am
I was a civil servant and told my line manager, in confidence. I never gave any details other than I was in an IVA and, as far as I am aware, it never went any further and I was not subject to any exclusions in my duties ( I was not a cash handler at that point anyway).

I see no reason why they need to be informed of your IP's details. However, should they require them they are available to all on the Insolvency Register. Your IP is not allowed to discuss the details of the arrangement with them.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:32 am
I worked for the police in a civilian capacity - I never had any problems with them.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Johng79

Post by Johng79 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:36 am
cheers guys.

Really curious about how much IP can disclose my employer if contacted by them eg full reasons of debt, figures etc. The very fact im being open with employer should be enough without having to tell them additional info into how i accrued debt. Stressful enough situation without more prying eyes nebbing into my personal life.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:37 am
Your IP cannot disclose your finances without your permission.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:46 am
If your employer is not a creditor the IP cannot disclose anything other than the information already in the public domain -- and, even then, he would be advised to say nothing.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Johng79

Post by Johng79 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:19 pm
ah ok that makes sense. Just wondering if i should disclose gambling issues over years to employer as contributory to debt, or i should be as vague as possible.

Curious as to legal standpoint on how much info im required to share.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:43 pm
Personally I would be as vague as I could get away with !

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:29 pm
Agree with foggy - vague is good in this instance!

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:29 am
I would recommend any further discussions are held anonymously unless and until you find you need to disclose the IVA being accepted. Other than that I don't see that they are entitled to any further information. Check your contract of employment.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:48 am
Your employer may look for a copy of the IVA from you which has a background story in it. I would therefore agree that vague would be correct and your IP should be able to put enough waffle into the background if necessary. Usually people have sickness, relationship breakdowns, property repairs, children, over consolidation etc which would be more than enough.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Johng79

Post by Johng79 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:13 am
cheers Michael,

Im actually talking to your company at the minute.

Just waiting on email back from personnel officer to confirm exactly what they require. I didnt realise they could ask IP for copy of iva.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:48 am
It is not that they could ask us rather that they could ask you. Some professions such as law and accountancy can monitor their members during an IVA but obviously only with the consent of the client. They want to know if payments are maintained and if the client is otherwise compliant but these cases are quite rare.

Let us know what HR says and let me know when the file is ready so we can draft a background story which explains the debts without leading to any questions from your employer. It should be fine and we have done IVAs for many civil servants including members of the police and armed services. Keeping them informed is the correct thing to do but there is a limit on how much they need to know.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Johng79

Post by Johng79 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:54 am
Sorry i meant they could ask me for copy of iva. Some laugh that they get to see all my financial info. So much for dealing with things personally. Iv been going back & forth with Andy from your place for info.

Just waiting on HR head honcho telling me info they will want if i do take iva. I was simply wanting to ensure my job was secure, nevermind work seeing my financial affairs.
29 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”