Changes in my circumstances have been ignored

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
37 posts Page 1 of 3

my

Post by my » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:43 pm
What happens if I cannot pay the IVA agreed amount (any more)?

my

Post by my » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:45 pm
I was led to believe that the IVA annual or regular review will take into account changes in circumstances and if my income/expenditure ratio leaves less funds to pay for my IVA my monthly payments will be reduced. This is not the case now that it has come to it. I am £200 in deficit monthly (average) and I have just been told on the phone that nothing has changed and I am still expected to pay £ 170 IVA monthly.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:00 pm
Merged topics
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:03 pm
Hi - you need to ask your IP to do a new I&E if you are struggling.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:41 pm
Payments can be reduced if needed -- your IP is either playing hardball or the problem lies with your spending habits not adjusting to the new budget. Why are you £200 down each month? Has your pay been cut ?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

my

Post by my » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 pm
Foggy wrote:
Payments can be reduced if needed -- your IP is either playing hardball or the problem lies with your spending habits not adjusting to the new budget. Why are you £200 down each month? Has your pay been cut ?
Yes, by more than half.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:03 pm
my wrote:
Foggy wrote:
Yes, by more than half.
Most agreements allow the IP the discretion to reduce payments by up to 15% without asking creditors -- any more than that will need a meeting and creditors can refuse or accept but extend the arrangement.
Might I ask who you are with ?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

my

Post by my » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:39 am
Foggy wrote:
my wrote:
Foggy wrote:
Yes, by more than half.
Most agreements allow the IP the discretion to reduce payments by up to 15% without asking creditors -- any more than that will need a meeting and creditors can refuse or accept but extend the arrangement.
Might I ask who you are with ?
Creditfix.
So in effect they did missell this to me as they said not to worry about future changes. The £170 monthly was high to begin with and now impossible.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:47 am
You can request a reduction or if you cannot maintain any payments creditors may accept what has been paid to date as full and final settlement. Go back to CF and do a new I&E which can be used for any variation.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

my

Post by my » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:50 am
Michael Peoples wrote:
You can request a reduction or if you cannot maintain any payments creditors may accept what has been paid to date as full and final settlement. Go back to CF and do a new I&E which can be used for any variation.
Thank you Michael. I sent in the I&E already and they said it all remains the same, but now they wrote back they will let me know in a few days.

Twiglet

Post by Twiglet » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:55 am
How long have you been in your IVA? I would suggest you need to speak to your IP again and say you wanted it reported as a change of circumstance rather than just your annual review. I had a change of circumstances, I had to give up work. I provided evidence as to the reason my change came about and the fact it couldn’t be avoided. It took a while as when they did an I&E we had literally nothing left to pay into the IVA. A variation meeting with my creditors was eventually called and requested they accept funds paid to date as a full and final. It was accepted, meaning my IVA finished early. I had paid without missed payments for 3.5 years with lots of increasing payments throughout that time.
IVA completed (with funds paid to date) 4th October 2017.......Completion certificate received 23rd December 2017 :D

my

Post by my » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:57 am
Twiglet wrote:
How long have you been in your IVA? I would suggest you need to speak to your IP again and say you wanted it reported as a change of circumstance rather than just your annual review. I had a change of circumstances, I had to give up work. I provided evidence as to the reason my change came about and the fact it couldn’t be avoided. It took a while as when they did an I&E we had literally nothing left to pay into the IVA. A variation meeting with my creditors was eventually called and requested they accept funds paid to date as a full and final. It was accepted, meaning my IVA finished early. I had paid without missed payments for 3.5 years with lots of increasing payments throughout that time.
Just for about a year now.
They increased your payments in the 3.5 years although you had to give up work??

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:50 am
A full and final offer was accepted in twiglets case - you do need to speak to your IP if you have problems.
Bob Marley.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:59 am
My, Creditfix are, in my eyes, the Easyjet of the IVA world .... keep things simple and knock em out fast. They tend to gloss over details in the need for speed and you do have to ride them and keep them on track .. when challenged they generally see the light and, to be fair, most of the glossing goes in our favour !

my

Post by my » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:57 am
Foggy wrote:
My, Creditfix are, in my eyes, the Easyjet of the IVA world .... keep things simple and knock em out fast. They tend to gloss over details in the need for speed and you do have to ride them and keep them on track .. when challenged they generally see the light and, to be fair, most of the glossing goes in our favour !
Thank you, sounds promising! very helpful!
37 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”