Struggling to budget

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

lisa817

Post by lisa817 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:15 pm
Hi my husband and I only started our iva in march 2019.we are really struggling to budget which is probably why we ended up needing an iva in the first place!! does anyone have any tips? Because at this rate it's going to be a long 5 years lol

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:24 pm
Have a look at your I&E to see where you are adrift.
I became a spreadsheet demon and checked it every day, along with my bank account, online, several times a day.
In the early days I dealt in cash only and split by money at the start of the month into several jars for each category .... if I had £40 a week for shopping I only took £40. I even got the checkout operative to sub total as he or she went along! Then I discovered online shopping so could control the spend a bit more and which gave me the confidence to start using the debit card.
Don't carry cash on you if you are not planning to purchase something specific --- it is amazing how much you can witter away on the odd magazine ( give them up anyway), newspaper (read news online) and chocolate bar.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:48 pm
I agree with Foggy - also think about smart price/budget foods and checking out the reduced aisle, especially at night.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:59 pm
Great advice off Foggy, Lisa we all had this problem when we started the IVA route. Take solace in the fact that it does actually get easier as time goes on. We all seem to have the knack to adjust and adapt what we eat and where we buy it from, going without is again something we just have to adapt to. I had 2 pairs of shoes and 3 pairs of trousers the whole time when in the IVA, no holidays, very few days out and a distant recollection of what a Chinese take away tasted like. There will always be an answer to what you may think of as a daft question posed on the forum, but you will never be judged and never given bad information, use the forum, even just reading other experiences or tips and tricks, you will soon find the optimum solution, "you ain't never going to be rich girl", but this path will make you debt free, you just have to stick at it. Good luck, Aldi and Lidl are your friend.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”