Self Cert Mortgages

12 posts Page 1 of 1

stirling

Post by stirling » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:45 pm
Apparently these are going to be done away with very soon. Follow the link. With my own income multipals not being good enough to gat a mortgage with a high street lender ther is no way I will be able to re-mortgage after 4 years of my IVA so my question is what am I supposed to do?

http://money.uk.msn.com/mortgages/first ... =150186810
Last edited by stirling on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:02 pm
Does your proposal state what will happen in the event that you can't remortgage? Sometimes they state that you would need to pay an extra year's contributions, but you would need to check x

stirling

Post by stirling » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:06 pm
I don't have my proposal with me at the moment, but I really don't recall anything in writing on it, though it was talked about prior to my IVA being accepted.

Welsh Boy

Post by Welsh Boy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:43 pm
They have been talking about this 10 years ago, it is a very small part of the mortgage market and would make little difference at present.

Reading through the article, it`s factually incorrect as there are more lenders lending on a self cert basis than stated but I suppose that doesn`t make such good journalism.Tony
F.P.C. 1,2,3 Qualified
Financial Planning Certificate
CeMap Qualified
Whole of Market Mortgage Broker
Managing Director : Debt Advisory Bureau
Debt Advisory 4U
Principal : All Mortgage Products

Directly Authorised with FSA :304244

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:17 pm
Tony, what will happen to people already on a self cert mortgage? We have one that is fixed for 5 years - can they withdraw it or not let us remortgage when the fixed rate is up?

stirling

Post by stirling » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:13 pm
I'd like to know the answer to that one as well.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:18 pm
The mortgage is in my OH's name due to my credit rating and he wouldn't get a 'normal' mortgage, and we wouldn't get one with me on it either...

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:04 pm
They cannot withdraw your existing mortgage but you will go onto the standard variable rate which will be in the small print. Your existing lender should offer you a new deal which will be based on your mortgage payments to them and not your credit file. I know some mortgage companies are trying to get out altogether and may have penal rates for their customers and if that is the case a remortgage should be possible if there is sufficient equity.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Cath

Post by Cath » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:06 pm
I'm with Mortgage Express and they aren't offering any fixed rates at all so as far as I can gather we will have to go onto their SVR for the duration of the mortgage term, unless we can get a remortgage which is doubtful as we are both insolvent at the moment, although in years to come we should be able to.

I am assuming that they can't just withdraw our mortgage and demand repayment before the end of the term if we are up to date with payments.
7 year IVA completed in December 2016 - there is light at the end of that tunnel

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:19 pm
I wouldn't think they can Cath. If you are making your payments then they have no reason to do this.

I'm on SVR anyway, and we've had no problems with our mortgage company at all.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:11 pm
Thanks for that Michael. We're with Abbey, so I can't see them pulling out of the market!

Welsh Boy

Post by Welsh Boy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:28 pm
Michael is right, as long as you meet the contractual payments your lender will not have a problem with you and you will eventually end up on their svr.Tony
F.P.C. 1,2,3 Qualified
Financial Planning Certificate
CeMap Qualified
Whole of Market Mortgage Broker
Managing Director : Debt Advisory Bureau
Debt Advisory 4U
Principal : All Mortgage Products

Directly Authorised with FSA :304244
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Harrassment by creditors ?”