Cleardebt & PPI - Melanie or Michael or Experts!

19 posts Page 1 of 2

flowerpot

Post by flowerpot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:45 pm
We made a f&f via Cleardebt which was accepted at the start of April, but they are not now going to issue completion certificates due to investigating if clients have potential PPI claims.

The f&f money was paid to them by my mother in law 5 weeks prior to this, so they have had what is in effect our year 4-5 monthly payments but in a lump sum by means of the f&f, in advance.

This was short of the original proposed dividend, because of the re-mortgage clause, and since our home is in negative equity, unlikely we could have raised any additional funds to add to our regluar monthly payments.

So, the creditors should get what we would have paid to them by the end of year 5, but at an earlier stage, and we are grateful they accepted the offer.

However, I am vexed that cleardebt have now decided to delay closing IVA's whilst they enquire about potential PPI claims with all of our creditors. From what I was led to believe before making the f&f, they were closing cases at that time and they even said they aimed to do so quickly and efficiently.

I dont want to remain on the insolvency register a minute longer than I have to, and from enquiries I have made today, I am told by cleardebt that it could take another 12 months to issue the completion certificate!!!!!!

I am also informed that I cannot write directly to creditors to obtain confirmation that we have never taken PPI in the first place.

Although we have had a letter from cleardebt loosley stating that the claim is being held open purley to establish if there is a PPI claim, we never ever took out PPI as a long time ago I worked for a financia company selling loans and PPI and didnt like the terms and conditions.

Also, I am not at all satisfied that any windfall such as inheritance would not be taken into account. This is of particular worry to me as we lost my father-in-law suddently last year, at which time my mother in law also took seriously ill. I know first hand just how quickly these things can happen and come out of the blue. Thankfully mother in law is better now, but windfall of any type is surley at risk with the case still open?

I have challenged our contact at cleardebt who informs me that the IP is obligated to enquire about the situation re PPI claims. Can one of the experts please tell me why this is so and if all IP's are doing the same, as I dont see anyone else on this forum posting about the same problem with their IP/IVA company.

I had made a brief post about this a couple of weeks ago, and I recall an expert saying each compay varies in their approach etc, how come this is allowed? It does not seem fair that some IVA's are going to be held open longer than other firms.

To add to my anger, I was informed of the PPI enquiry over 2 weeks ago, yet when I chased the matter today, it would seem the ball has not even started rolling! I have now to wait for a letter of authorisation to be sent to me, which I must sign and send back before they can even make enquires!!!! Bang goes another week or two.

I have always been so pleased with Cleardebt right up until this point, and have never had any of the problem that I read about other posters having with alternative companies, but since starting the whole f&f process, I am so cross about the standard of service & lack of communication during the past 2 months and now this is set to drag on and on.

I have also read a number of posts on here and found the following extract from Andy Davies book to be worrying:

"Once the last payment for your IVA has been made, it is the Insolvency Practitioner’s job to officially conclude the arrangements and issue you with a certificate of completion. This might seem like a formality, but it is a vital part of the process and must be done quickly. The issue here is that the case does not go off the register until it is officially closed. In such a case, the real danger is that the ‘windfall provision’ is there for as long as the case is open. Even though the IVA may be completed, if it hasn’t been closed by the Insolvency Practitioner and removed from the register, the creditors still have the right to grab any windfall that might come your way, even though they no longer have the right to demand monthly payments from the client any more. That puts you in an extremely vulnerable position, and if money were to suddenly turn up the creditors would be able to seize it. It is important to be aware of this issue, and to ensure that your Insolvency Practitioner concludes the IVA quickly."

So, even with a carefully worded letter from cleardebt, does the windfall clause still remain a danger to us? When I asked if we win the lottery for example what happens, the response I got was that its just being held open for PPI claims because these can run into the thousand, yet if we win the lottery or inherit money this doesnt count....the list of possible windfalls in endless, and all that I can say is I do not feel re-assured in anyway.

Makes you think i would have been better off if my mother-in-law had paid the monthly contributions for us, at least she would have had the benefit of keeping the lump sum in her own account instead of it sitting some place else, because we are not closer to getting a completion certificate having had a F&F accepted.

This really just isnt good enough.
Last edited by flowerpot on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:35 pm
Hi Flowerpot I can understand your frustration at a number of the points that you raise but unfortunately really only Cleardebt can answer for themselves and the management of their cases. They do have the right to investigate the possibiity of a PPI claim but I would hope that a claim is only made on your behalf if there is a genuine claim however this does mean it keeps you in limbo. I would also hope that should any windfall occur in the meantime that it is not included in your IVA but again only they can confirm their stance on this. Try and get some clear answers from Cleardebt and hopefully this can be resolved asap and you have the reassurance only they can give you.
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

flowerpot

Post by flowerpot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:49 pm
Thanks Tina, I just needed to get this off my chest, I am so cross as you can tell by my post.

kat68

Post by kat68 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:50 pm
hiya flowerpot,
seems crazy if you know for sure you have never had PPI, and even if you had taken out PPI as long as you knew about it and felt it wasnt missold then surely there is still no claim to be made!
as for your iva still being open to windfalls, if cleardebt has told you that is no longer a risk then i should ask them to put it in writing.
kat

IVA accepted 6th May 2011, Full and Final accepted 17th April 2012.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:06 pm
I think you should speak to Size5 who works for Cleardebt. Perhaps if you gave a statement to the effect that you have never had PPI the IVA could be closed down. This would at least protect Cleardebt from any negligence issues.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:45 pm
Evening all.

I am posting from home now and so have no access to my systems, and I cannot identify Flowerpot solely from a forum name, however I am more than happy to be of assistance where I can, so if you wish to leave me a message or drop me an e mail over the weekend then I can follow it up for you on monday? My details are, as ever, in the experts section of the site.

Regards.
Last edited by size5 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:44 am
It is not a case of whether you ever had PPI - the case is whether any of it was genuinely mis-sold to you. If so, then you may have a claim against the bank who sold the policy, which if successful will provide funds which the IVA creditors are entitled to receive.

If, as you say in your case, you know that no such policies were mis-sold to you, then you simply need to advise your IP firm who will require you to make a declaration that you will not submit any claims once the IVA has been concluded. Once this is clarified there should be no further delays in closing your case - on the PPI point along.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

flowerpot

Post by flowerpot » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:10 pm
Thank-you guys, i have now emailed size5 directly and will wait to see if he can help at all.

We are more than happy to sign a declaration as Melanie and Michael suggest.

On reflection, the issue is, the matter of investigating potential PPI claims is being handled poorly at the moment and stands to create cleardebt a huge amount of work (&cost) the way they intend to go about it.

Plus, as some have also pointed out, its also a case weather PPI was mis-sold, or in fact wanted, for those who took it out. I state again for the record though, we never took it out!

Many thanks

flowerpot

Post by flowerpot » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:29 pm
Thank-you to size5 who has been able to intervene in this matter.

A colleague from Cleardebt has now been in contact and we have been able to reach an amicable solution.

Now this is the type of service I have been used to from cleardebt over the years, pro-active and willing to listen and help.

Thank-you size 5 (and Tom)

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:35 pm
Well done to you and Size5.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:17 pm
Excellent news - and another success story for the forum which enables you to get right to the heart of the matter in some of the larger firms.

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:03 pm
I can't recall ever disagreeing with Melanie on any subject, but I am not sure that I would describe ClearDebt as one of the larger firms?

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue May 01, 2012 12:10 am
Reporting over 6,000 IVAs under supervision in the last reported accounts! I think that makes you a pretty significant player - and four times the size of my firm which makes us just at the lower end of the top twenty!

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:50 am
Ahh, I see your point now.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:23 am
Following on, David Mond IP, CEO of ClearDebt, has asked me to post the following on this subject.

"I’m glad we were able to help.

To clarify our position to any other ClearDebt clients who may stumble across this thread, we do not agree with a couple of the comments regarding debtors only having to sign a declaration to say they have not been mis-sold PPI.

We are concerned that an IP who accepts a blanket declaration to cover all debts and all future claims risks this being construed as neglecting their duties in the same way as an IP who fails to properly dispose of other more traditional assets – not to second guess anyone else here but I'm sure we would all agree that we cannot accept a declaration to confirm the level of equity in a property. Proof would be required in establishing whether or not an asset exists and the duty of the Supervisor is to investigate this.

We do not believe a signed declaration stating that PPI has not been mis-sold is sufficient without first establishing whether or not PPI exists. If a policy has been added without the client’s knowledge then that declaration would not be worth the paper it was written on and as such the offending policy would still be an asset which the Supervisor has failed to realise. Additionally given the complexity and volume of various circumstances under which mis-selling may have occurred, it is perhaps not prudent to accept this declaration without the client being in possession of all of the facts.

It should perhaps also be said that IPs frequently disagree on how to act in a variety of situations. The opinion that ultimately counts is that of your Supervisor as it is your Supervisor who takes the risk in your case.

That said, although we have an obligation to investigate, we do appreciate that we must do all that we can to conclude investigations on all cases in a timely manner and will endeavour to ensure that no completion is delayed any longer than it needs to be".

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice

19 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “a success story”