Polymyalgia

25 posts Page 1 of 2

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:30 pm
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know anything about polymyalgia?

My mum had a flu type virus and now she can hardly move her arms and is in agony all the time. She went to the doctors and they tested her for polymyalgia and the tests have come back negative, but after looking on NHS Direct she has nearly all the symptoms. She can hardly move her arms, she's tired all the time, doesn't feel like eating, keeps crying for no reason, has night sweats and feels generally lousy.

She has been given strong painkillers by the doctor, but they have made her sick so she can't take those. She is going back to the doctors on Monday (or tomorrow if she can get an emergency appointment) but is in a lot of pain in the meantime.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about polymyalgia from a practical point of view - someone else who had it, anything she can do to help herself. It's really getting to her and I'm worried - she said yesterday she doesn't want to spend whatever time she has left in pain, and it's not like her to talk like that.

flumpy dog

Post by flumpy dog » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:37 pm
ah skip thats awful-so sorry. im a medical dunce im afraid. wishing all the best in a resolve hun xx

flumpy dog

Post by flumpy dog » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:41 pm
had a quick look on a medical site
it describes it as rhuematic pain and inflammation of the muscles and the case described was taking a low dosage of steroids to treat it

flumpy dog

Post by flumpy dog » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:46 pm
skip theres a really good site with loads of practical advice-am i allowed to say the name or will i get in trouble-want to help.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:46 pm
She's got all the symptoms, but the tests are clear. I've told her to ask for a second opinion, but I'm convinced this is what she's got, as was the doctor.

Mum's nearly 78, but she's very, very independant, so she's not dealing with this very well at all.

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:54 pm
Oh Skippy that's awful, FD, by all means post the link on here. Maybe she needs more tests.
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

flumpy dog

Post by flumpy dog » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:03 pm
skip if you would like to have a look on www.patient.co.uk
there was quite a lot of info on there x

flumpy dog

Post by flumpy dog » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:06 pm
i meant to add type polymyalgia in the search bar and quite a lot of info comes up

tori

Post by tori » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:12 pm
Oh skippy,that sounds really awful,and it must be horrible for you too seeing your mum so upset and in pain..i would definitely be asking for a second opinion though,then they can get the right diagnosis for treatment..i do hope she gets this sorted out asap..thinking of you both.xx
please visit my blog http://tori.blogs.iva.co.uk/ a second chance..

flumpy dog

Post by flumpy dog » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:13 pm
skip www.netdoctor.co.uk also have a very useful section on polymyalgia rhuematica.
good luck and best wishes hun x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:20 pm
Skip, that sounds awful. I do hope your mum manages to get it sorted soon and gets better quickly.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

CoverItAll

Post by CoverItAll » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:01 pm
Hi Skippy

My wife Gwen suffers with this from time to time. I will e-mail our home telephone number to Admin and ask them to pass it on to you. You will then be able to speak directly with Gwen about this.
John Tegg
john.tegg@dms4asu.co.uk
http://www.paymentcover.co.uk
STANDARD TERMS for Forum Members for Home Insurance, Self Employed Tradesman's Public Liability, and Short Term Income Protection.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:49 pm
Thanks so much everyone. I really don't know what I'd do without you all! Hopefully when she goes back to the doctors they'll do more tests and we can get a diagnosis and she can get some treatment.

Thanks again xxx

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:03 pm
Skippy, hope you're mum isn't in too much pain. Go back to doc and insist on having more tests. If need be see another doc, but don't stop until you're satisfied.

xx

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:40 pm
She won't let me go with her on Monday, but if she doesn't get any joy either tomorrow or Monday I'm going to insist on going with her. I think she will push for a second opinion as she's in so much pain.

The problem is she won't let me do anything for her. I offered to take the dog out for her (not my idea of fun but I'd do it) but she said no as I said I'd go in the evening, and the dog is used to going at 7 in the morning! There's no way I'm getting up at that time (especially this weather!) and I'm sure the dog wouldn't mind, but no, she won't let me! Probably where I get my stubborn streak from!
25 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “friends corner”