A silly question, but I need help!

26 posts Page 1 of 2

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:09 pm
As the title says, this is a silly question, but I'm after some advice. I've seen a job advertised in the local paper that really appeals to me - more interesting, within walking distance of home, possibly more money and definitely more holiday.

After reading the job spec it seems like I've got the experience they want, apart from one thing - I've never taken minutes before. Here's the silly question - is minute taking difficult, or is it something I could pick up? I don't want to waste my time applying if it's something beyond my capabilities!

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:42 pm
Whats your shorthand like?? Not sure that matters nowadays coz you could record entire meetings and type up the minutes at your own leisure.
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:46 pm
My shorthand is non existent which is what worries me, but that's a good point about recording the meeting. My typing's pretty good, so actually typing the notes wouldn't be a problem. I really fancy this job, so I might give it a go and see what happens!

Pap

Post by Pap » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:04 pm
I think it's just a knack and what you take down only has to make sense to you. I did a minute taking course a few years back (my boss booked it and then didn't want to go!), it was only a few hours and didn't seem that difficult - but I haven't tried it since!!
If you use a mobile to text you could always use a type of textspeak to make notes - I say give it a go, what have you got to lose?
Good luck

P x
May 2015 - Completed!!

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:17 pm
Thats the thing with shorthand,you only have to be the one who can understand it,but like I said,get a cheap dictaphone and what you forget to write down you have recored,easy peasy.

Go for it,what have you got to lose?

Paul

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:19 pm
Skip, it has to be worth a try and if they like you enough, they may just send you on a short couse.
Nothing ventured and all that xxxxxxx
http://mrsskint.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Our Story'

Nil carborundum illegitimi

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:20 pm
Thanks both, you're right, I've got nothing to lose.

One other thing - if I got the job I would need to have a CRB check and it mentions Enhanced Disclosure. Would my BR show up on this?

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:23 pm
BR wont show up on a disclosure check no. Streaking at wimbledon may,as would robbing a post office,but BR no.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:38 pm
Well I haven't done either of those so I'm going to fill out the application form at the weekend and see what happens!

Pap

Post by Pap » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:44 pm
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

P x
May 2015 - Completed!!

jane.l

Post by jane.l » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:25 am
I am a medical secretary, and got my shorthand and medical shorthand qualifications, it is not hard to learn shorthand although you do need to use it everyday in order to keep up. I had to do about an hour a day practising as part of my AMSPAR course. I have not really used it in a while, I would be very slow now, I think [:D]

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:36 pm
I did shorthand at school and hated it! I got a CSE though, but couldn't tell you a dot from a dash now!

Typing I am really quick at - I did get an RSA in that and have kept it up over the years and now find it really useful.

There is also speedwriting as well Skip, if they still do it.

You go for it - and the very best of luck from me!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Robbiecat

Post by Robbiecat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:58 pm
Skip, a bankruptcy really won't show up on an enhanced CRB. It literally is a Criminal records check to make sure you don't have any convictions. I think I've had about 8 done in the last year because of my job/activities!

RC

flumpy dog

Post by flumpy dog » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:22 pm
the skip NEVER asks silly questions ! [:D]
after nearly 7 months of reading your intellectual and often very thoughful postings i most definitely think you should go for this opportunity ok x
i think you would be an asset to them i think you can definitely do this [:)]

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:36 pm
Hi Skip, hope you are kwwping well[:)]

I sometimes take minutes of a meeting and have no experience of shorthand at all. As long as you have the main points of the meeting and what was discussed and who is supposed to action any changes and by when. it really is not difficult at all and as long as you can scribble and read your own writing you will be fine!!

Also go for the job, nothing ventured and all that[:D]
Its always good to brush up on your interviewing techniques and skills from time to time anyway if nothing else!

Good Luck
Em x
Be positive & look after yourself, there are more important things in life than debts....

Best Wishes

Emma x
26 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “friends corner”