Debt Stress

18 posts Page 1 of 2

looktothefuture

Post by looktothefuture » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:31 pm
I am really writting this for anyone who is browsing the site who is thinking about sorting their debt situation out.

I starting getting into debt at the ripe old age of 21. 10 years later I decided to finally confront the issue as it was making my life a living hell. I started to get panic attacks, stress and anxiety problems. I could see the debt geting out of control but kept thinking I could sort it out.

Looking back I believe it was the main factor in several relationship breakdowns and brought on several bouts of depression. To be honest I was too scared and too asamed to seek help. I didnt want any of the stigma of bankruptcy, IVA, DMP etc...

I am now sitting here waiting for my creditors meeting, finally having confronted the main demon in my life for many years. Debt is an extremely difficult thing and society is geared to look down on it. However, there are so many other things out there that are far worse and no one should feel ashamed for having got into financial difficulty for whatever reason.

My debts are large. Well over £100k. I have a good job and earn good money but my outgoings have far outstripped any hope of control. When the control goes there is nothing worse. What I am trying to say is, if there is anybody out there who is struggling with debt, I would advise you to get help and support right away. Dont be scared to talk to anyone or admit things are tough. The sooner you get the control back the better, whether its an IVA, DMP etc...

I have been receiving up to 30 calls a day from some creditors. Loads of letters, threats and intimidation. Its horrible and I know everyone on this forum has had this at somepoint. That is why I think its great that this site exists and there are so many people supporting each other.

Good luck to everyone out there who is or thinking of taking the bold step and sorting out their debt. Rock on!!

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:35 pm
Fantastic post, good luck for your creditors meeting. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:56 pm
An inspiration to anyone looking in who isn't sure.

Good luck.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Octagon

Post by Octagon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:06 pm
Thanks for posting this message,

I have just got of the phone to the CCCS who advised me to call my creditors and make an offer to pay a token amount on my non priority debts until I have my meeting with a councillor from the CCCS.

Its the first time I've actually admitted that I am in financial difficulty to a creditor and now I am feeling very worried about the implications down the line but I know I need to draw a line in the sand now and start trying to find a solution.

For years I have always 'found a way' be it juggling balances or finding new creative ways to get through the month but due to the breakdown of my marriage I am trying to manage all the outstanding debts on one salary and its just not sustainable.

I guess every journey has to have a first step and this was it.

Good luck to everyone who is facing the same difficult decision.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:10 pm
Octagon, you have made that first, all important step.

I am sorry to hear about the breakdown of your marriage. I hope you manage to get your finances sorted.

Keep us posted.

Good luck for the future.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:16 pm
Octagon, as Kallis has said, you have taken the first step, you'll find a solution, hang in there. Keep posting, we're all here to support you. Good luck. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

tori

Post by tori » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:26 pm
hi there look to the future.i couldnt have written that better myself.i am 31 and should have done something about my debts 10yrs ago but like you didnt because of shame,embarrasment & fright.ive just had my iva approved & the relief is fantastic.i wish you lots of luck with your iva.let us know how you get on.[:)]
please visit my blog http://tori.blogs.iva.co.uk/ a second chance..

Octagon

Post by Octagon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:31 pm
Just wanted to say I didn't mean to hijack this post!

I'm well aware there are lots of people in worse situations. Thanks for your kind words of support though, it really helps.

looktothefuture

Post by looktothefuture » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:46 pm
Keep posting Octagon. We are all here to support one another!

BlueShoes

Post by BlueShoes » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm
Good luck with everything...a real turning point for you I'm sure!

Blue

tori

Post by tori » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:24 pm
hi there octogan i hope you manage to get sorted out.realising you have a problem and then finding the courage to ask for help can be both daunting and frightening.but once you realise that you are not alone and that there is a solution to your problem you will feel tons better.good luck to you.x [:)]
please visit my blog http://tori.blogs.iva.co.uk/ a second chance..

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:52 pm
Great post LTTF ... I'm am sure that it will be a help to others embarking on the same journey.

Well done Octagon on taking the first steps to address your own debt situation ... keep in touch the forum and let us know how you are getting on.

Debbie
Debbie

moretolife

Post by moretolife » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:56 pm
look to the future....if i had found this forum years ago it would have encouraged me to seek help..well done for posting so honestly
IVA completed 11th Dec 2009 due to a Full and Final with the fantastic help of Michael Peoples and
Mc Cambridge Duffy

Visit my blog...Journey from Debt to Life Post IVA
http://moretolife.blogs.iva.co.uk

quark2008

Post by quark2008 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:15 pm
A really good post. Well done for getting yourself off the wheel, it takes strength and courage to do so, admitting you are in debt, and the effect it has had on your life, has given you a fantastic foundation on which to rebuild your new life. Society and the banks create life debt in a big way. Debt should never be looked down on, the banks are still throwing about, they don't care. Be prepared for more calls and hassle. Do not be bullied or intimidated by letters sent by creditors.Save all of them and forward them on to you IVA provider. From now you will remain in control,nobody can rule you, you are the one who said stop, enough. #13;#10;The stigma of debt is diminishing, respect for taking control of your debts and moving forward with your life is growing. Well done you, and i'd shake your hand if i could, welcome the Forum Fighters gang !!!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:25 pm
Oooh Quark, that's a good title for us![:D]

Good post as well.
Bob Marley.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “postings for july”