Insolvency Register....Maybe A Chance of Privacy?

25 posts Page 1 of 2

Endsmeet

Post by Endsmeet » Thu May 15, 2008 2:56 am
Just seen an article in a magazine:

'A new law that would make it a criminal offence to disclose personal information intentionally or recklessly has been proposed by the House of Lords.
Richard Thomas, Information Commissioner, had called for a law that would make putting other peoples personal data at risk a criminal offence. In January, the Parliamentary Justice Committee backed his calls for such a law.'

It still needs to be approved by the House of Commons

Could this be a way of having our personal details removed from public viewing on the Insolvency Register?

I think we all agree that having our full names, addresses, D.O.B and other details available to anyone who wants to have a look is certainly a case of ' putting other peoples personal data at risk' do you not agree ?

Not just the unsolicited mail we that all receive because of the register, I wonder what else can be done with our personal information that is on display....intentionally or recklessly

I wonder If Andy could use this to back up his great petition ?

Certainly one to keep an eye on....

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:10 am
Sounds interesting.

I agree that people could decide to use our information for dodgy purposes, ok it wouldn't be for credit -if they could manage to get some I'd want to know how! They could use it for other stuff though - passports possibly, other forms of ID?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:24 am
It makes sense to me ladyh. I hadn't really thought about it before, but it is the only public record I am on as far as I know and the thought of someone getting hold of my birth certificate is a scary one.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Endsmeet

Post by Endsmeet » Thu May 15, 2008 4:55 pm
Yeh, you are right, they could get a replacement birth certificate and such like and once they have that who knows what they could achieve, not so much as credit but passes for dvd hire shops and the like.

I think that this law ...if its passed should be certainly applied to the insolvency register.

Crackin' quote as well Lady H.
'I'm not ashamed of my IVA, but not happy that anyone can see me'

None of us should be ashamed of putting things right...if only others thought the same way.....

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu May 15, 2008 5:05 pm
Never thought about passes for stuff. When you come to think of it, there is an awful lot of stuff people could do with the details on the register. The only other personal details I have on are for banking and the like, and they are all secured and cannot be seen by anyone else.

I think all personal detail on the net should be private and you should only give out information to those you want to.

It's not as though companies need to check that - they only have to look at your credit record to see that you are either BR or IVA.
Bob Marley.

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Thu May 15, 2008 9:21 pm
Interesting thread this one!

I too wonder what Andy thinks regards this.

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Thu May 15, 2008 10:48 pm
Good one H!

I hope they put me 10 years younger lo oh to be 18 again!

I can dream......

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Thu May 15, 2008 11:33 pm
I wish we had an IVA - what a strange wish......better than the situation I'm in now.

I loved being able to do what I wanted when I wanted.

scooby0

Post by scooby0 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:39 pm
hi there

thought i'd respond on this one to bring it to the top of the thread

I've signed the register too, it is a worry that this information is there for all to see.

I was just thinking too its a good job that we haven't our pictures with our names, as the experts have, as perhaps this could lead to even more potential identity theft..

Endsmeet

Post by Endsmeet » Fri May 16, 2008 12:01 am
Just found some more info on the web about this

Updated 12 May 2008:

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) now has the power to impose " substantial" fines on companies flouting data protection legislation in the UK.

The new powers come under the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act which has recently been given Royal Assent.

The Data Protection amendment was proposed by Liberal Democrat MPs while the Bill was being debated in the House of Commons, and the amendment has since been adopted by the government.

New powers will be applicable to any organisation which "deliberately" or " recklessly" commits a serious breach of the Data Protection Act.

The Act does not apply retrospectively. The ICO is currently waiting for notification from the Ministry of Justice as to when the Act will be effective.

"This new power will enable some of the worst breaches of the Data Protection Act to be punished," said David Smith, deputy Information Commissioner.

"By demonstrating that the law is being taken seriously, tougher sanctions will help to reassure individuals that data protection matters and give them confidence that organisations have no choice but to handle personal information properly."

Prosecution of breaches of the Data Protection Act will be limited to fines and will not be extended to jail sentences for company directors found to be responsible, said a spokesperson for the ICO.

Now its a matter of what is seen as 'a breach of the data protection act'

I would suggest by having our address/D.O.Bs on public viewing could possibly be a breach of this...after all they are 'deliberately' making our personal details public which undesirables could use for 'other means' ....

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri May 16, 2008 11:43 am
I thought I would bring this back to the top again.

I am sure that what the IVA council and other such similar organisations do will contravene that act. Most reputable companies will say that no third party will be given your information - surely that is what the register is doing? I know they are not physically giving the info out, but the fact that it is freely available to anyone, I would say is contravening the act.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone.
Bob Marley.

maizie

Post by maizie » Fri May 16, 2008 11:51 am
[:0]

I just realised something last night and I've gone into major panic mode!!! I was aware that all our details are on this very public register but it only dawned on me last night what could happen!

Without going into too much detail something happened to me as a child by my step-father. He was arrested 4 years ago but the CPS stated there wasn't enough evidence. He is still in contact with my brother (Im not) and neither of them know where I live... I have made it that way, only telling a few close friends and family where I am.

I had a threatening email from my brother a few months ago on facebook and got him removed from the site, now Im concerned that he could just type in my name on google (my name isn't popular at all and it comes first on the search results) and they would know where I am.

What do I do? I thought I felt secure where I was and now I don't. If I was to go bankrupt my details would even be published in the paper. Im sorry to put a downer on this but Ive got a bit worried!
Life is far too stressful!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri May 16, 2008 11:55 am
Maizie - how horrible! I was just thinking about ways we could have our identity stolen, never even thought about situations such as yours. I suppose there are a lot of people who would want to keep their details secret from ex partners (particularly violent ones), abusive parents etc. A really GOOD reason to have this register made private.
Bob Marley.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri May 16, 2008 1:26 pm
Hear, hear ladyh. Our personal details need protecting, and it needs to be done soon. Is it going to take a serious offence being committed by someone who has got details of ex's etc from this register before someone does something about it? Isn't that what normally happens? Perhaps the government should start bolting the stable door before the horse bolts rather than vice versa!
Bob Marley.

ianmillington

Post by ianmillington » Fri May 16, 2008 1:35 pm
Whilst I'm not expert on this I'm not sure how the publication of data on a database which is, by statute, open to public inspection can be breach of the data protection act. By implication I can't see how use of that data for marketing purposes is likely to be either.

You might also like to go to www.192.com and type in your surname and town and see what gets thrown up. I'm sure there are others. No matter how hard you try, there is sufficient information publicly available to enable those who want to find you to be able to do so.

Ian
Last edited by ianmillington on Fri May 16, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Millington
Insolvency Director
PDHL Ltd (formerly Personal Debt Helpline Ltd)
www.pdhl.co.uk
25 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “postings for may”