Can I have some advise from Storm

4 posts Page 1 of 1

MAY2006

Post by MAY2006 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:43 pm
Hi Storm
I have completed IVA in May 2006, fully understand 6 years rule etc., and I am in the process of trying to 'tidy' up what info is held by CRA's, so that when I do want to re-mortgage which is the only credit I will ever have again hopefully I will be able to do so.

I have two questions for you as our forum expert on these matters.

1.What should show against the debt when its been partially settled by IVA. Some companies show the outstanding amount and either settled or satisfied, some show the original default amount and state satisfied. Others show the outstanding amount and nothing about settled or satisfied, these are mainly with Max Recovery. I have written to them twice now and spoken to them and nothing has happened. - What can I do if anything to get these corrected.

2. This bothers me the most, my son is nearly 17 and recently applied for a part time job with of all things a debt collecting agency!! On the application form you had to sign to say that they could do a credit check. I contacted Equifax to ask if he would be linked to us in anyway and they said no.
However, he did'nt get the job, they said good interview but that they only had a small number of positions to fill. I know this is not true as they are still actively recruiting.
As I still have moments of complete paranoia I am wondering if it is because of our debt, did they check on the address as how can a 17 year old have a credit history, he has an easycash account with Halifax, is not on electoral role etc.

I know I could get him a job where I work, but they do credit check and if it came up this could effect my position, I have worked for them since before the IVA was in place and at that time my credit rating was A1.

Any advise you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Storm

Post by Storm » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:22 pm
Question 1

If the contractual conditions ie IVA have been completed the amount should show as settled / satisfied.

If you written to Max Recovery asking them to correct the information and they have failed. Contact the CRA and confirm that the information is incorrect. The CRA has a set procedure for this which requires the Data Protection Officer at Max to respond within 21 days. If Max don't respond to the request from the CRA stating that the data is acurate it will be removed by the CRA. The ultimate person to complain to is the Data Commissioner - www.ico.gov.uk

Question 2

If you are unsure of whether a search was conducted or not request a copy of the data / credit file that the CRA holds for your son. I would do both Experian and Equifax (£2 each) these files will show any searches done in the past 12 months.

There should be no association - again you can confirm if an association exists it will be on the credit report.

Hope this helps
Last edited by Storm on Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAY2006

Post by MAY2006 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:32 pm
Thanks Storm for the advise, I will put fingers to keypad over the weekend and contact the CRA's on both issues

Storm

Post by Storm » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:39 pm
One thing - make sure your son requests his credit file and the payment comes from him (postal order).

Most associations are created through application forms / correspondence etc.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for april”