What are your top five ways to save money?

161 posts Page 8 of 11

KazBaz

Post by KazBaz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:14 pm
Carole - thanks for the Quidco tip! I had never heard of that website before. I will register right now.

Orange78

Post by Orange78 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:31 pm
Cut (squeezy) tubes of showel gel etc about an inch and a half from the nozzle when you can't get any more out. You'll need sharp scissors and possibly the supervision of a responsible adult [:o)]. Often you'll get at least another day's worth. You can also still 'fold' the bottom and tuck it into the top to stop it drying out too quickly.

The type of tubes that stand on a flip cap work the best. I have got an extra week out of a tube of aftershave balm using this method.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:40 pm
I've been using my conditioner like that since last Thursday, tomorrow will be the last day before I have to open the new one but I can say it'll be 100% gone x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:42 pm
Shop and Scan site is here:

http://www.shopandscan.com/index.asp

You have to visit here to register:

http://www.volunteer4panels.com/
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:50 pm
I've used Shop and Scan for years - it helps me fund Christmas and it isn't one of those that you can screen out of.

It can be a bind doing the scanning every week though!!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:58 pm
I do it as I unpack the shopping -- get extra points for scanning the receipts as well --- funds our Christmas nicely.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:24 pm
I'm sure I've registered before but never got chosen/heard anything, might give it another go. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:28 pm
I do the same Foggy, plus the out of home shopping on my mobile. It's where most of my Christmas presents come from!!!!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

trionon

Post by trionon » Wed May 16, 2012 3:23 pm
LoveFilm for all my entertainments needs, I subscribe to 3 DVDs unlimited, only £13 per month
Library - registered in one at the place of work and home, total of 12 libraries network
Took up walking having seen Julia Bradbury's do Wainwrights - to keep fit. I use Saturday Walkers Club (http://www.walkingclub.org.uk/) where you can download free walks, some don't need maps at all as description is so good, but most maps can also be found in the library.
Following from the above - joined YHA, annual membership cost £15. Some YHAs I stayed in, especially in the Lakes and South West were amazing. They say it's easier to get into Ritz than into Black Sail YHA and if you stayed in the latter, you will appreciate why. YHA also does some good promotions out of season. Last Christmas and NY, they had a speacial deal £10 a night, so booked 7 days self catering in Devon (Beer, Salcombe)and Penzance for New Year. I've had fantastic time. I also started volunteering with them - you get to stay for free, all meals provided, some travel expenses possible, and you get to do something worthwhile.
MegaBus/Train company - really cheap, £9.50 return rail ticket to Exeter from London as oppose to £44 one way with First Great Western - I loved it. National Coaches could be cheap too on certain routes if booked in advance.
Bringing food to work, cooking, baking, buying cheap ingredients - some sell by dates are a bit of a red herring. I buy everything reduced especially if it gets cooked the same day.
What I still need to master is wine / alcohol home making, so if anyone knows how - please do tell!

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Wed May 16, 2012 6:32 pm
Do Sky movies for films, do get my books from the library, I can request books if the library doesn't have them.

The only walking we do is with the dogs and thankfully we have nature reserve at the back of the house and a forest nearby.

Whilst YHA is good for some, it doesn't do it us for us - we love our creature comforts and would rather stay at home if we can't have them.

Always use home cooked food for work and never bother about sell by dates - if it looks good, smells good and tastes good then it will be fine.

Always use the car for travel, only ever do the train to Birmingham for shopping.

Holidays are always abroad - all inclusive and looking forward to doing them again once the IVA is completed.

nepensioner

Post by nepensioner » Wed May 16, 2012 7:00 pm
I have no subscriptions to anything like Sky etc, don't need them. Have very happy memories of Black Sail hut [:)]
F & F Accepted 19th Oct 2010

dunkynuts

Post by dunkynuts » Wed May 16, 2012 7:38 pm
Looking in to Quidco now!
Have no regrets,the future is ours!

Niobe

Post by Niobe » Wed May 16, 2012 8:47 pm
Quidco is good - when we remember to use it!!

We subscribe to Sky as that is our entertainment - very rarely go out socially.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu May 17, 2012 12:04 am
I dont find quidco as good as it was 12 to 18 months ago.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Pandy

Post by Pandy » Thu May 17, 2012 7:27 am
Here are my update top 5

1. Bulk cook meal for the freezer when ingredients are on special offer, i.e veg or meat.
2. Use up your leftovers, I always class having a left overs meal as free food as we didn't account for it when we shopped
3.Use supermarket loyalty schemes to get money off
4. Make your own bread, biscuits, cakes, especially if you have children it will give them a fun afternoon 'helping' plus you know there are no nasty additives in them. (my children begged me when they were young to have shop bought biscuits like there friends, when I did they hated them )
5.Shop around but only if the other shops you go to are near, (not worth getting in a car and driving 5 miles to get 3p off a pint of milk.)

Will update again when I get a new round of ideas.
Last edited by Pandy on Thu May 17, 2012 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
If life is what you make it, I must have been in a strange mood when I made mine
161 posts Page 8 of 11
Return to “money saving tips”