What are your top five ways to save money?

161 posts Page 3 of 11

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:31 pm
I like Sainsbury Basics although cheap they are I have to admit good quality, we used the sweet and sour sauce this week for the first time, 28p I think and it was surprisingly good x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:47 pm
I will buy some basics in all the supermarkets, but I prefer their own brands a lot of the time.

I love Sainsburys bakery!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:49 pm
I bought some bits in Sainsburys last week and I couldn't believe how expensive it was compared to Tesco! I always said that I would change to Sainsburys when my IPA finished but I don't think I will now - I'm not paying more for the same things!

It doesn't help that we don't have a big Sainsburys near us.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:49 pm
My hubby does too Jan. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Nicola.sa

Post by Nicola.sa » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:49 pm
[quote]Originally posted by Pandy

My top 5 ways are:
1. Buy the cheap basic brands but enhance,
e.g I don't like too hot curry's so these are ideal for me, I buy the 9p curry sauce from Sainsbury's (Yes 9p) and fry some onion add some cooked chicken, (I buy the £2. bag of cooked chicken from Iceland, I use 1/2 a bag for 2 jars of sauce) add 2 jars of the sauce and a handful of sultana's. I freeze portion sizes with cooked rice in old margarine tubs makes enough for 6 lunches, do the same with the basic range sweet and sour sauce. (without adding the sultanas [:D]).
(Each lunch costs approx 45p)
2. Save any change less than 50p piece in a tin / jar, it soon mounts up.
3. Batch bake and freeze, cottage pies, lasagna's etc.
4. Buy special offer veg and freeze e.g Sainsbury's had carrots at 30p a bag a month ago I bought a couple of them and have frozen them in portion sizes.
5. Don't shop when your hungry you are liable to impulse buy more. Always go after you have just eaten.
[/q
WOW, 9p for a jar of curry sauce!!! Any other cheap sauces? Any other cheap products? This thread is very helpful.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:39 am
Most of the basics, value, smart price stuff is very cheap. The cheap curry sauce reminds me of chip shop curry sauce.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:11 am
Sainsbury basic sweet & sour sauce is around 28p and my lot like it, it's not as thick a sauce as others but it tastes fine, any ideas on how to thicken it maybe? x

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:51 am
lesley_ wrote:

Sainsbury basic sweet & sour sauce is around 28p and my lot like it, it's not as thick a sauce as others but it tastes fine, any ideas on how to thicken it maybe? x
cornflour?
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:25 am
My son will only eat the very cheap fish fingers and he loves then in a sandwich,much cheaper then sandwich meat.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:31 am
I love fish finger sandwiches! The fish fingers have to be mashed with salt and vinegar with a liberal squirt of ketchup!

The only problem is the only fish fingers I eat are Birdseye 100% cod...

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:21 pm
My kids have adopted my Midland eating habits. I love what I call dip which is the fat from the Sunday roast while it is still warm with bread topped off with a little salt. I also eat drippin' and picalilly sandwiches. Jelly and custard is also a fav with us all.The kids joke that I would eat lard and lettus ,what I say is dont knock it till you have tried it.

animaleyes76

Post by animaleyes76 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:24 pm
Skippy,

I KNEW i'd find someone one day that understood that fishfingers MUST have vinegar on them AS well as ketchup. The others are just heinous heathens ;)

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:44 pm
Thank PD I could try cornflour to thicken it.

I love fish finger sandwiches too, don't mind the vinegar but I'm not partial to Tomato Ketchup, don't mind cheapie fish fingers for a sandwich but prefer 100% cod if they're part of a meal. x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:35 pm
Dripping sandwiches are lovely with salt and pepper. Wouldn't want the picallilli though! Can't stand ketchup either!

We have Youngs fish fingers in batter that you do either under the grill or in the oven. Farm Foods sell them and they are lovely.
Bob Marley.

country girl

Post by country girl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:45 pm
Hi
I collect my tesco vouchers which has enabled hubby and I ti have a holiday while in IVA. We have stayed in a caravan but they have been really good and it has only been the cost of petrol as we self cater.
I have found charity shops can be really good I have picked up clothes which still have new labels in.
I don't waste anything in the winter I will cook chicken bones and make soup.
Nice to be back I have had pc problems.
Linda
161 posts Page 3 of 11
Return to “money saving tips”