What are your top five ways to save money?

161 posts Page 5 of 11

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 pm
I hope you get a new boiler soon Lesley. I'd go mad without my heating!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:34 pm
Hopefully next week Jan! Just think there will be hot water too and that's something I've not had for 2+ years now! luxury! be able to invite Julie to stay as she'll be able to have a bath!
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:43 pm
[:D][:D][:D]
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:22 pm
Thanks for a really helpful topic. It's so hard to save money for me, and here I found useful information.
I think it's necessary to take a notebook and to write down all the expenses.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:28 pm
Glad you found some useful tips Catherine [:)]
Hopefully next week Jan! Just think there will be hot water too and that's something I've not had for 2+ years now! luxury! be able to invite Julie to stay as she'll be able to have a bath!
Hope that hot water is still flowing Lesley [:D]

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:11 pm
At the minute Julie yes! house is very toasty and so far so good with the new boiler xx
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

600andy

Post by 600andy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:26 pm
Hi all,

My TOP tip is join the National Shopping Monitor at:

http://www.nationalshoppingmonitor.com/register/

Basically, you get a hand held bar-code reader which you plug into your phone line. Every time you go shopping, when you get home, you zap the bar codes of all your items as you put them away and then once a week send of the reciepts. The more you do, the more points you accumulate and points make pounds!

If your able to scan your reciepts rather than post them, you get extra points and there are odd surveys etc that earn extra points.

We do this and earn an average of around £70-£100 in vouchers of our choice which buys the Christmas presents.

It's a bit of a burden, but once you get used to it, its a doddle!

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:51 pm
My own personal list, both for those on IVA's and those that aren't, read....

1 If you are a couple, recognise each others area of financial expertise. One may be very good, for example, at doing the weekly shop whilst being able to resist those impulse buys that are not really needed. (Translation: Don't let Mrs Size do the shopping.)

2 Apply the same principle in other areas. Significant savings can be made on even, for example, a modest holiday by investing time and research. (Translation: Don't let me near a Travel Agent.)

3 Try not to get obsessed by it. Saving money, especially if you are trying to do it across the board and you have not been used to doing it, is actually a quite exhausting and time consuming business and can lead to strains in your personal relationships. (Translation: It's only money, it's not worth falling out over)

4 Treat yourself occasionally. Whether in IVA or not, all your hard work in trimming costs has to have an end result, you have to have something to look forward to, whatever that may be. (Translation: All work and no play makes Jack and Jacqueline very dull people indeed)

5 Don't let blokes make lists of 5 top tips as they will only be able to think of 4 before their mind wanders elsewhere....

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:31 pm
Fantastic post Size 5 x

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:28 pm
Hubby went shooting at the weekend and we now have enough game stew to last us for ever or so it seems by the amount of the stuff in the freezer. Still it nice with a bit of fresh bread.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:51 pm
Excellent post Size 5 - made me smile!

Carole, I really could not eat game stew - the very thought of it makes me feel sick!

Andy, I do two lots of scanning for my shopping and save my vouchers until Christmas.
Bob Marley.

running_woodchucks

Post by running_woodchucks » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:03 am
Hi,

How do you get an invite for this...

Thanks

600andy wrote:

Hi all,

My TOP tip is join the National Shopping Monitor at:

http://www.nationalshoppingmonitor.com/register/

Basically, you get a hand held bar-code reader which you plug into your phone line. Every time you go shopping, when you get home, you zap the bar codes of all your items as you put them away and then once a week send of the reciepts. The more you do, the more points you accumulate and points make pounds!

If your able to scan your reciepts rather than post them, you get extra points and there are odd surveys etc that earn extra points.

We do this and earn an average of around £70-£100 in vouchers of our choice which buys the Christmas presents.

It's a bit of a burden, but once you get used to it, its a doddle!

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:32 pm
You can apply from the link, I did it this morning. Had to click a couple of link if I remember rightly but it worked fine. x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:05 pm
Shop and scan is the one that I do.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:09 pm
When I tried the link it says I need an invitation.

I don't know if they'd want me anyway as a lot of our shopping doesn't have bar codes as we use the butchers, fish van and farm shop.
161 posts Page 5 of 11
Return to “money saving tips”