What are yout thoughts on my getting a payment freeze for 2 or 3 months to buy a car ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
17 posts Page 1 of 2

Slekclarke

Post by Slekclarke » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:19 pm
My car has broken down and its going to cost £1500 to repair approx., car is 10 years old and not worth the repairs. I have asked for a payment freeze and waiting for a reply. But thought I would just ask your thoughts my chances of getting this freeze. I currently pay £719 a month 3 years into IVA and want a 2-3 month payment freeze so I can buy a car for £2000.
Thanks
4 years in :lol:

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:31 pm
Hi,

You can ask - if you need a car for work then they should allow it. The payments can always be tagged onto the end.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:45 pm
As Kallis says, if the car is required to get to and from work the IP should agree -- after all, no car = no work = no IVA !

The missed payments should be tagged on to the end, although some IP's, in the past, have required them to be caught up with extra payments sooner.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

footiemad

Post by footiemad » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:40 pm
I had a 2 month break to buy a car without any problems.

Slekclarke

Post by Slekclarke » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:42 am
Thanks I have been advised that I need to show evidence of the car I am buying and how much I get for mine and then they will look to freeze payments for that much. She did say she normally liked to increase payments to get the money back sooner. I am hoping to go down the route of tagging two extra months to the end as I can't afford to pay extra! I hope they agree this way.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:03 am
Fingers crossed!! Let us know how you get on and argue your corner for tagging the payments on to the end.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

MG12

Post by MG12 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:03 pm
Hope you get sorted.

If you can't afford to up payments then it would be sensible to add to the end as this will give the IVA more chance of success.

Slekclarke

Post by Slekclarke » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:53 am
Hello I got my payment freeze and brought a Peugot 206. However, 3 months down the road and it appears the head gaskett is leaking could be an expensive repair bill waiting to hear from garage. What do you think my chances are of getting a nother payment freeze to help with the repair bill? I currently pay £715 a month to IVA.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:15 am
I take it any warranty you had has run out?

Once it's fixed it might be worth looking at the warranty insurance - no idea how much that costs though.
Bob Marley.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:59 am
Your IP can usually sanction the break but may need to get permission from creditors. This is likely to be given anyway but provide whatever evidence of the repairs that you can. A quote from a garage should suffice.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:46 am
Always worth discussing with your IP -- after all, often a car is an investment, in that no car = no work = no IVA payment, so they usually do what they can to assist in such circumstances.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Slekclarke

Post by Slekclarke » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:08 pm
Confirmed Head Gasket leaking - around £700 to repair, car isn't really worth it only paid £1400 for it, but I need a car to get both myself and hubby to work. Was hoping this car was going to last the duration of my IVA. As its just under 3 months since I brought it I have contacted the garage I brought it from consumer rights and all of that. Otherwise I will be having to get in touch with Aperture again. :(

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:03 pm
Fingers crossed they will cover it.
Bob Marley.

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:29 pm
Hi Slekclarke,

You are certainly having bad luck on the car front.

I went through a similar phase a couple of times with my car during my IVA and was allowed to reduce my payments to cover the repairs, and given the option of tagging them on to the end of the IVA or making the shortfall up with increased payments over a designated period.

Your IP has the authority to reduce your monthly IVA payment by 15% in the event of hardship without the need for approval from your creditors and it makes sense to work with you as you need your car to earn your wage.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

Slekclarke

Post by Slekclarke » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:31 pm
Good news garage who I brought it through is repairing it under the warranty :)
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”