what happens to the family home

3 posts Page 1 of 1

tso

Post by tso » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:11 pm
what happens to the home of a person who has a family home and has applied for an iva. the person has children

finebridge

Post by finebridge » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:19 pm
Hi tso,

You may need to be a bit more specific in your question i.e. I am presuming the property has an outstanding mortgage rather than rented property?
The IP that is arranging the IVA should inform the person entering the Iva what options they have regarding the property.
There are a few options depending on whether there is equity within the property, whether the property is in the person’s sole name?

Please post a little more info and I will try and help more.

Kind Regards

Nicola

Finebridge Ltd
22 Laud Street, Croydon, CR0 1SU
0800 180 4212
www.finebridge.co.uk
Finebridge Ltd
22 Laud Street, Croydon, CR0 1SU
0800 180 4212
www.finebridge.co.uk

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:11 pm
Hi tso

If the property is owned, with a mortgage, then it is only the equity element which is taken into account during personal insolvencies. If the property is jointly owned - ie between husband and wife, the equity element is usually shared equally.

Under current IVA creditor requirements, it is usual for a modification to be proposed requiring the property to be valued during the final year of the IVA and the equity sum to be calculated. Creditors like to see between 75% and 100% of the equity raised, by way of a third party contribution, remortgage or sale.

During the IVA, you are required to continue to pay the mortgage payments as the lender retains security over your property.

If you were to be made bankrupt, your interest in the property would vest in a Trustee who is appointed to realise your assets and distribute the proceeds to your creditors. You are generally allowed one year to deal with this, following which the Trustee can apply for a possession order.

More specific information regarding your query would be helpful, in order to address the points concerning you.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “mortgages”